• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Future Possibilities for New Libraries in GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Future Possibilities for New Libraries in GPO?

I am sure everyone has their requests, but I would love to see:

classical guitar
    recorders
    mandolin
    sitar
    saxophone family
    theremin
    musical saw (hey don\'t laugh!)

I know the above looks like the orchestration for Mannheim Steamroller\'s next Christmas album [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]...but even so...

Matolen

Re: Future Possibilities for New Libraries in GPO?

\"musical saw (hey don\'t laugh!)\"

Not to laugh at! More musicians (not just percussionist) should experiment bowing different objects. Some of the sounds you get are quite surprising and melodiously useful. I actually have a saw here that I bow and my kids think its cool. Try bowing different cymbals as well if you have an opportunity. Infinite uses the different size bows have and colors they yield even on the same materials.
    I think your suggestions would be quite useful. Maybe in an Avant-garde package.

None other than Mr. Aaron Copland used a musical saw in one of his compositions. Its commonly known as the solo organ piece \"Episode for Organ\" but its original orchestration was brass, woodwinds, strings and musical saw! (its one of the pieces I hope to set up and use GPO).

Matolen

Personally...I\'d like to see some improvements made to some of the existing instruments before adding new ones.

Are any fixes to existing instruments planned or in progress? Just wondering.

Rodney

Matolen,

These are good suggestions. The saxophones will be in the jazz/big band pack.

Musical saw is a great idea. I used to play the saw many years ago (even played it a few times in a band). It is a difficult instrument to master. Since its a portamento instrument it can be difficult to play melodies. What\'s interesting is that you can impart variable vibrato by quivering your hand at the end of the saw. I am wondering what kind of a programming challenge this would be. Perhaps Tom is up to the task.

R. Glenn,

The upcoming updates will contain improvements on the existing instruments. Right now we are testing the new updates and hope to post them soon.

Gary Garritan

\"What\'s interesting is that you can impart variable vibrato by quivering your hand at the end of the saw. I am wondering what kind of a programming challenge this would be. Perhaps Tom is up to the task.\"

You don\'t think the pitch bend would render a decent \"quivering\" effect? Or would you think it be too uncontrollable?
    Another great effect - using a bow on a vibraphone with the sustain pedal down and the vibrato on. Very cool.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

wow, new updates!
    great news, thanks a lot!

excellent news. I\'m still getting my feet wet with GPO, but from what I\'ve heard on this forum there are just a few little areas where it could use a little improvement...and I think this forum has been an excellent source for very specific information about how GPO could be improved. This is how I would prefer to see GPO updated in the near term as well.

Perhaps eventually, I think it would be really cool to add also more variations...so that I have more than 2 or 3 solo sounds to layer together. If there were, for example, 10 different solo samples of each kind of sample...then I could layer all 10 with zero concern about phasing. Ok...10 is a lot... but you get the picture...

Dewdman42,

There may be addition solo instruments added to the library in the future but if you use the present GPO Solo and Ens. instruments as designed you should have zero concern about phasing right now. That’s the purpose of the Ens. instruments: To allow the assembly of multiple instrument sections without encountering phasing problems. There are just a few simple rules to learn (which have been covered in other threads) about the way Solo and Ens. instruments can be combined to avoid phasing problems. Once these rules are observed, phasing problems cease to be a concern.

Tom

Sounds great Gary. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Looking forward to those updates. Thank\'s for the willingness and effort to seek refinement and improvement of the product. Other producers might at this point just consider it as \"case closed\" and \"we sold our copies - now our job is done\"...glad to see this is not the case with you guys.

Your involvement and concern for the product (ergo, us users) is much and sincerely appreciated indeed.

Thank\'s

Rodney

Go Back to forum