• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gary : Is'nt it time for a GPO User Manual V2 ?

Share/Bookmark

Gary : Is\'nt it time for a GPO User Manual V2 ?

Since the day I purchased GPO (months ago) it gave me great opportunities to really discover the sound and potential of classical instruments, and, mostly, to use them in order to make daily counterpoint and harmony exercises with an \"authentic\" and gratifying sound.....
    ----
    But in fact a lot remains to do for me to enhance my skills.... i\'m not very close to post my first compisitions or mockups here !
    ----
    ..... and IMO a big lot remains, too, to master the \"other side\" of the story, I mean : the specific midi-related, programming, and daily-use techniques which allow GPO -as a sound module- to sound even more authentic.
    ----
    And, in this area, I think that the manual which comes with GPO is a nice pretty booklet, but is a bit disapointing, because it is very minimal in that regard (to say the least) What do we have indeed : nice graphics, a tutorial about instruments families and their placement in a orchestra hall, the listing of the programs, and half a page on how to use GPO.
    ----
    It\'s very few as compared with the wealth of information which seems to lie here, hidden in hundreds of posts.
    But all those very useful and various subjects
    (like setting modwheel message at the start of song in various sequencers, like the best way to use or program the bowing messages, legato, portamento, variations, how to avoid phasing when layering same instruments to build section, how-to-use the \"overlays\" instruments etc, etc...) ,
    are completely scattered in long and numerous threads.
    I of course tried the \"search\" function on the forum, with key words, but the number of findings is overwhelming, and it would mean hours and hours of search, just to gather -and select- information, just before starting to study it.
    ----
    Combined with the hard work to improve musicianship, this makes too much for me.
    Hence the question :
    can we hope to see, very soon, a \"new\" manual, which would collect in a practical and condensed way, all the useful tricks, recipes, techniques, that midi expert, programmers, professional have found out, and routinely use to get the best out of GPO ?
    ----
    For non-expert people like me and others, whose time devoted to music is just the one available after the daily work, it would mean a great plus !
    Thanks in advance for your reply !

Re: Gary : Is\'nt it time for a GPO User Manual V2 ?

I think that is a good idea.

I agree whole-heartedly. When people on the forum say this or that about \"the manual\", I at first thought I didn\'t receive everything I was supposed to receive when I got my GPO. Now, it is apparent that the nice brochure that came with GPO IS the manual.
    Also, it is good to see at least one user who is having fun but is shy about putting his compositions on the forum to be compared with the very professional demos which are constantly being posted.

sirbellog,

Gary plans to expand the Garritan website to include much of what you describe. This will be located in the Support section of the site:

http://www.garritan.com/support.html

By placing this information on the website it can be constantly updated with corrections, modifications, and additions. Some of the new information has already been addressed in the troubleshooting section (click on the “+” signs):

http://www.garritan.com/troubleshooting.html

Another section will be called “GPO Exchange.” Gary wrote: \"This section is for GPO Users helping GPO Users. Many have contributed many MP3 demos, MIDI files, sequencer song files, notation files, tips, tutorials, special programming and GPO sites. Some of these files are contained on the various demo and support pages on this site. A GPO Exchange Page is being developed and will serve as a focal point for User contributions for the GPO community.\"

Tom

Thanks Tom for this reply,
    what I read on the links\' targets looks very promising, especially the \"coming soon\" topics, which belong in what is missing in the manual....
    I\'m really looking forward to seeing thoses (unknown to me) parts of Garritan\'s site growing !

This is the kind of information (see Alan and Tom\'s info at bottom of thread) that would be nice to see at a single formal location so we all don\'t try to keep creating our own local \"manual\"

Fred

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=155297&page=0&amp ;view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#155297

[ QUOTE ]
    This is the kind of information (see Alan and Tom\'s info at bottom of thread) that would be nice to see at a single formal location so we all don\'t try to keep creating our own local \"manual\"

Fred

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=155297&page=0&amp ;view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#155297

[/ QUOTE ]

-----
    Exactly my point, Fred.
    Itr really seems that if someone had ages to read all the posts in this forum, and extract the valuable information from the unavoidable gossip/off-topic material which resides in each thread, this person would get the highest quality user manual, with a wealth of tips & tricks, everything in fact which is necessary to fully understand and master GPO as a multi-instrument on its own.
    So it would be a great step forward to present all this material in a \"single formal location\" as you say.
    -----
    But well, it seems that Tom Hopkins meant precisely this in his reply.
    And he\'s just one of the guys who know GPO inside out !
    So let\'s give him, and Gary, and a few other seasoned people, some more time to gather the info, and I\'m sure we\'ll have an online resource book which will double the initial value of this terrific software !
    -----
    PS : BTW, a downloadable pdf version od this online \"manual\" would be a great plus IMO.

GPO has one of the best manuals of all sampled libraries except for GOS. Gary has raised the bar quite a bit when it comes to printed documentation. Most of the libraries I have purchased either don\'t have a manual, have it in .pdf format or have a small manual no more than 8 pages in a CD insert format.

The manual for QLSO Silver is the same manual that is packaged with QLSO Platinum. It has one single page inserted with updates for Silver. Instruments listing are found in a file on the disk. Half of the manual is about the recording process and features that are not in Silver including all the patches in Platinum. This section of the manual is almost totally useless. The other half of the manual is for the Kompakt player and hasn\'t even been updated for Platinum.

Each manual cost a decent amount to print with a larger manual costing more. The price of the library would have to be raised for a more in depth manual. Many products have books that you can purchase to supplement the manual. Maybe, a dedicated GPO tips book with detailed MIDI sequencing info, setup info with various sequencer and notation programs, reverb usage, musical passages with recommended instruments and setups, etc. There could even be an audio CD to go along with it with MIDI files.

[ QUOTE ]
    GPO has one of the best manuals of all sampled libraries

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not own dozens of libraries,
    but I\'d reply to this that GPO may have only one of the most BEAUTIFUL manuals.....
    I mean that the booklet is very nice, well printed, and that it\'s fine to have a little introduction to orchestral music, with pictures of the instruments, definition of families, but I don\'t think anyway that anybody serious about music can definitely rely on this material as his/her orchestration needs...
    And the booklet\'s content is not very well balanced IMO : too much in my opinion about general subjects which can (and will have to) be covered by specialized (orchestation) books, and way too little about the specifics of GPO use (one page).
    What I was referring to, is indeed the \"tip and tricks\", technical side of GPO as a software instrument whose sounds need to be tweaked and played according to their programming in order to really shine. And this instrument is not only an orchestra-at-hand, it is also, for the better and the worse, a Kompakt player, that is to say a software with its rules, limitations, bugs, workarounds, etc... which need to be known and mastered.
    ----
    I am very aware that when GPO came out, it was too fresh a product, perhaps even for the producers/programmers, for them to really be able to provide this kind of resources along with the manual.
    So there was no blame from me, I started my post saying that GPO is a great software, and I do think its conceptors are great people too.
    ------
    As for the paper, I really do not care about this, and I perfectly understand that a thicker manual would raise the price of the package.
    So, if the information we need is online, or, better, as as an updatable pdf that every user can download, it\'s fine for me, in fact I never thought of a REAL new book when I suggested a \"manual v.2\" .
    ------
    To sum up :
    - as hundreds posts have proven, we know that specific midi handling of many sides of GPO is necessary to get the best out of it.
    - we also know that each platform,(Cubase, Sonar, Logic) has different needs, issues, strong points....
    - we know as well that there are skilled and/or professionnal people out there who know GPO inside out, and have found the best ways to make music with it.
    So I was just saying that the logical next step to make GPO an outstanding product would be to bring this wealth of knowledge to the base user in an \"easy-access\" media, without him/her having to dive into a huge internet litterature whose maybe 10% in fact is on-topic !

Go Back to forum