• Register
  • Help

Topic: Christmas song with GPO

Christmas song with GPO

I recorded a fingerstyle guitar player recently, playing a song that he composed. He asked me to add an orchestral part to it, and of course I used GPO.

Strings are the multi string quartet. Bells (except the sleigh bells) are the handbells. Brass is solo trumpet and trombone. I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Your comments, criticisms, suggestions, etc. would be welcome. Also, comments about whether it sounds like Christmas would be appreciated.

-- Martin

Re: Christmas song with GPO

No, you\'re right on the money. He liked the string parts, but he hated the brass. I loved the brass. I thought it gave it a nice Christmas-ee feel, but he wants it replaced with strings similar to the beginning so it will have a mellow feel throughout. I talked him into trying mellow french horns there. What do you think about that?

He also didn\'t like the bell intro as he felt it was too strong. I\'m going to back off on it and see if that addresses his problem. He also didn\'t like his guitar intro, so that may be part of the problem.

He wants to lighten it up towards the end, so I don\'t think he would want more orchestration, but I will give it some thought.

Your comment about the guitar playing was also correct. His instructions to me when I finished recording were \"make me sound good\". If there were bad spots he wanted them covered up. However, I thought he did well on this one. I did use the Pizz strings to cover up a bit.

Thank you so much for your interest and all your help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I\'ve really learned a lot from your comments.
    Can I be your apprentice? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-- Martin

Go Back to forum