• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: FYLP: Spec Cues done with GPO, DIVA, et al...

Share/Bookmark

FYLP: Spec Cues done with GPO, DIVA, et al...

Hey gang,

I thought you fine folks might enjoy a few spec film cues that I put together over the last few days. The mainstay was GPO, with different emphasis on various sections throughout, alluded to below.

Backstory - an opening credits cue using \"Elizabeth\" as a back drop. Focus here was to blend the baroque plenum organ (and the flutes register, in the beginning) with orchestra.

Engineering Dispute - a family favorite scene from the 13th Warrior. Here there\'s only percussion, brass and low woodwinds. My compliments to the bass clarinet and contrabasson players, Mr. Garritan. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Portraits - an interesting transitional clip from \"Brotherhood of the Wolf\", focussing on the solo violin and flute weaving in and out of each other in the beginning and the short bows in the second section. Folks who are offended by nudity (Monica Belluci, no less) should just avert your eyes or play the MP3. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Not Unscathed - a re-scoring of the \"LOTR, Fellowship...\" scene where they escape from the Mines of Moria right after Gandolf follows the Balrok into the abyss. The effort here was to outline shock-to-dispair-to-pick-up-and-move-on with a hobbit-like tag at the end. Aside from GPO, this one uses DIVA piped through an atmospheric impulse from the Spektral Relativity collection.

As you all should know, all of this music is copyright (2004) Houston Haynes and Titan Line Music. All other materials are property of their respective owners (some of which is carded at the beginning of each cue). The video and audio components that are not owned by myself are used without permission as part of film industry common practice under the fair use provision of the Amended Copyright Act of 1976 (Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107). Anyone who says otherwise is a Northernsounds Net-Nanny and is to be ignored. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Each cue is available in WMV9, QT5, and MP3 formats. Enjoy.

Re: FYLP: Spec Cues done with GPO, DIVA, et al...

Fantastic job on all of these Houston. I really enjoyed the engineering dispute. Very convincing use of GPO all around.

Mr. Hayes,

I\'ve got to say that these are absolutely amazing. I wanted to write this big long praise, but I have no words. Very well done indeed!!!!

Jonny

Houston,

You know how I feel about you posting film clips without permission...

Just messin\' with ya.

You\'ve got my e-mails about these, you know I think they rock!

Bump...

Love,

Net-Nanny [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

2 stars? I would have to give you 5 stars on all of this music and hard work!!

Oh wait, now I\'m going to lose a star for saying that LOL

Nice job, H3

[ QUOTE ]
    2 stars? I would have to give you 5 stars on all of this music and hard work!!

Oh wait, now I\'m going to lose a star for saying that LOL

Nice job, H3

[/ QUOTE ]LOL - thanks so much for the kind words. Honestly, it\'s not as difficult as it would seem - each cue was created in less than a day. Because of the beauty of working with GPO in Kontakt and DIVA in HALion, selecting sounds was a cinch and turning focus to the creative side has become my assumed mode of working - it\'s truly a spoiling experience. It was actually much more difficult to select the right impulse from the hundreds that are in the Spektral Relativity collection. Thanks again.

Very nice job--what other libraries did you use?

Just curious, what software do you use to rip the video clips, and to remove the original music tracks? In the \"Engineering Dispute,\" it seems that the dialogue and sfx tracks are intact...

thanks,
    chris.

[ QUOTE ]
    Very nice job--what other libraries did you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Everything was GPO except for Gigasamples from Worra\'s Place and G-town. My fave from Worra\'s Place is the Terkelson Mandolin; from G-town I\'m torn between the waterbowls and Darbouka samples. Everything was converted into Kontakt for these mini-projects, but I have also converted several of these sounds into HALion format. None of them use a particularly dense Giga file, so they\'re not a big challenge to convert.

Best,
    H3

[ QUOTE ]
    It was actually much more difficult to select the right impulse from the hundreds that are in the Spektral Relativity collection. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just curious - is that the collection from Palancarware? The author of that collection is a good friend of mine and I\'m sure he\'d be thrilled to know where his work was being used.

I tried to watch your video clips but they don\'t stream well to Australia unfortunately, even with my 1500ADSL connection [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Edit: I just realised I can download the Quicktime version and watch it from my hard disk. Much nicer to not have buffering every three seconds!

G.

Very impressive. Even manipulating the video must have taken some time. I wouldn\'t have know whether the music was the original or not. It all seemed to fit perfectly. Only the solo violin somewhere stuck out as being synthetic.

My favourite was Back Story. I also liked the video artistry in this one.

Great Stuff

Frank

Go Back to forum