• Register
  • Help

Topic: GIGABUG - Sounds do not stay in the channels I assign them to

Share/Bookmark

GIGABUG - Sounds do not stay in the channels I assign them to

I\'ve noticed that when I reload a setup when starting up for the day that certain channels will show up \"empty\", even though a sound was assigned to that particular channel already. I select the sound back into the channel and save, but next time I reload the same thing happens. Anyone know how I can fix this??

Re: GIGABUG - Sounds do not stay in the channels I assign them to

Does this happen with jsut GigaStudio on its own? JNo Sequencer loaded on either the same computer or another computer?

Sometimes when I load up my sequencer after starting Giga AND loading up a performance. The sequencer sends out some sort of program change messages and it tweaks the order of loaded instruments.....sometimes throwing them on different ports and duplicating the instruments multiple times.

If its not that..then I\'m not sure swhats going on

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Maybe you could try rebuilding your quicksound libary. I remember once I had a sound that disapeared from my performances because the quicksound libary thought it was corrupted.

This has happened to me too recently. I think it\'s a bug with version 2.2, as it never happened before.

I don\'t think it\'s the quicksound library, as I have the same sound loaded into several slots, and it will only load in the first one and ignore the rest.

Maybe this should be reported to Nemesys / Tascam?

Mike Gill

Hi Folks,

Tippett, I was unable to duplicate your problem on any of our test machines. KingIdiot is likely right on the money with his assessment of your problem.

Are you sure your sequencer is not sending out program change messages to Giga?

scores4film, let\'s not jump the gun and assume there is a bug in the program until the necessary troubleshooting steps have been taken to isolate the problem.

Feel free to contact us for tech support regarding any operational issues.

323-726-0303 ext 617
    CustSer@tascam.com
    http://209.216.16.19/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=GigaStudio/GigaSampler&number=16&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=

Thanks,

Allen

No, it\'s not the sequencer. I boot up the PC, launch Gigastudio and load up my performance. The sequencer\'s not even in the picture at this stage.

I have an orchestral layout performance; port one is woodwinds, port two brass, port three percussion and port four strings.

If we take woodwinds in port one, I have the same flute sound loaded into midi channels one and two (for flutes one and two). When the performance finishes loading, I have the flute sound in channel one, but channel two is empty. This is the same for trumpet 2, trombones two and three, and violin two. The only port I don\'t have to \'fix\' is port three (percussion) because all the sounds are unique to each channel.

I don\'t recall seeing thisprior to V2.2. This is annoying and the reason for me looking at the forum yesterday was to see if anyone else had the same problem and it seems that I\'m not the only one.

I\'ve tried to get round the problem. After fixing the empty instruments, I save the performance again, reload but it still happens. So I save under another name, reload, but it still happens. I can only assume that the file is corrupt in some way or the loader can\'t handle duplicate instruments. The strange thing is that clarinets one and two are loaded (flute, oboe and bassoon not).

I\'ll try setting up a new performance from scratch and see if I still get problems, unless you can think of anything else?

Cheers

Scores4film, I\'ve also had this problem. It occurs when loading the performance. In my case it\'s a big performance using all 4 ports with different instruments in almost every channel (and using up to 70% of memory). Unique instruments always load fine but if loading two instances of the same instrument the second may be blank. I\'ve saved and resaved, rebooted and also reconstructed the performance from scratch. I added more RAM and believe that helped. - Doug

Doug, I can\'t add any more Ram as I\'ve got to the limits of my system (768 MB). However your scenario sounds like mine, using 4 ports and hitting 69 / 70% memory. It sounds as if it should be a simple thing for Tascam to fix if they can reproduce it.

Tascam: I can email you the performance file so you can check if the problem is in the file or the loader?

Cheers

Giga is full of bugs Tascam inherited a lot of work! I find the loading of performances is a mess. If you have multiple instruments in a gig with different patch numbers, gs will ignore these when it loads the gig, only the patch number of the first instrument is seen. GS does not like multiple instrument gig files!

Go Back to forum