• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Trying minimalist LIVE Piano Giga System tomorrow

Share/Bookmark

Trying minimalist LIVE Piano Giga System tomorrow

I thought it might be interesting to some folks who want to \'go live\' with Giga as to whether or not I crash and burn tomorrow, or am successful and am given medals, kisses and so forth...

Presently, it\'s pianos for me. It doesn\'t have to be pianos for others.

The system is a Dell 1800Mhz P4 desktop computer running Windows 98se, 640mb of RAM, with an Audiophile 2496 card, no monitor required. The entire system, aside from software, cost me about $775.

I use an SKB 6 space rack including a Stewart half-rackspace 200 watt power amp.

My Windows 98se system, with Giga in the startup menu, launches my Giga default program at startup, which is PMI Bosendorfer on Ch1, Malmsjo Piano on Ch2, Bardstown Bosendorfer on Ch3. My Fatar controller accesses each or all of these and can adjust volume and reverb via sliders.

Well, it works great at home, we\'ll see tomorrow. This WON\'T work if you need tons of changes, then you\'ll definitely need a monitor. We\'ll see if I do as well.

Comments welcome. Regarding cost, hookup, reliability I thought going laptop wasn\'t the best choice right now.

Regards,
    Michael

Re: Trying minimalist LIVE Piano Giga System tomorrow

The system worked flawlessly!

Michael

[ QUOTE ]
    The system worked flawlessly!

Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

. . . this time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You\'re brave. I\'m setting up a similar system but using a little 12-inch TFT monitor without a stand. I\'d be worried about troubleshooting without a monitor if the system starts up and Giga doesn\'t do what it\'s supposed to.

Glad to hear it\'s going well though.

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought it might be interesting to some folks who want to \'go live\' with Giga as to whether or not I crash and burn tomorrow, or am successful and am given medals, kisses and so forth...

Presently, it\'s pianos for me. It doesn\'t have to be pianos for others.

The system is a Dell 1800Mhz P4 desktop computer running Windows 98se, 640mb of RAM, with an Audiophile 2496 card, no monitor required. The entire system, aside from software, cost me about $775.

I use an SKB 6 space rack including a Stewart half-rackspace 200 watt power amp.

My Windows 98se system, with Giga in the startup menu, launches my Giga default program at startup, which is PMI Bosendorfer on Ch1, Malmsjo Piano on Ch2, Bardstown Bosendorfer on Ch3. My Fatar controller accesses each or all of these and can adjust volume and reverb via sliders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very glad to hear it worked out!

I\'m really interested in building a similar system specifically for live performance. I stumbled across this site while checking out GigaStudio -- is it the best such solution? Like you, I\'m mostly interested in a good \"acoustic\" piano sound.

I was thinking about constructing a desktop system but running Windows XP on it and then using remote desktop from my laptop to control the desktop if need be; that way you get a bit more portability (since you don\'t have to bring a separate monitor and keyboard).

I was also considering putting it all into one of those \"small form factor\" PC cases to make it extra portable, but that does drive the cost up....

-j.

Hi Ouch,

Yeah, I know, I was taking a chance. But I had a backup piano module just in case. I LIKE the idea of a small tft monitor, where\'d you find a 12\" one?

michael

Hi J,

Sounds like you\'ve got some good ideas.

I\'ve got no idea which is the best way to go, I\'ve just been working with what I have available, and so far so good.

If there were a SIMPLE laptop solution I\'d go for that in an instant.

michael

Interesting thread guys :-)
    I also was considering a laptop but have now decided to opt for a desktop to take on gigs for my piano libraries. With a TFT monitor, one would still need a keyboard and mouse, so it is still a bit of stuff to lug and set up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    Maybe I will take the chance and forget the monitor like you Michael, and take my piano module as a backup.
    What a pity laptops wont do the job...

Mal

Hi Mal,

I think there ARE some LIVE laptop solutions that will work, but it\'s an expensive way to go and you end up with a string of pieces like firewire HD\'s, external midi/soundcards and whatnot.

I like the fact that a laptop is lightweight and there\'s a TFT screen; but with pieces and wires there\'s more that can go wrong than with a desktop where everything is enclosed in the case pretty much.

Like you say, too bad.

michael

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi Ouch,

Yeah, I know, I was taking a chance. But I had a backup piano module just in case. I LIKE the idea of a small tft monitor, where\'d you find a 12\" one?

michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Ebay.

I then detached the stand from it and wedged it into my flightcase where it fits nice and snug against the PC, and I just flip it up and rest the top of the case on the top of it while in use.

Thanks Ouch,

Hmm, I might have to go looking for one of those 12\" monitors...

Admittedly, I\'m being pretty stubborn about it: I want everything in one rack if at all possible because I\'m doing mostly solo piano gigs. There\'s no sound support like you have in a band. And obviously, if you\'re bringing your rig to the studio, that\'s another ballgame.

So I want my mixer and amp AND all wires/warts in the rack. So far, not having a monitor has been the weakest link. This all will probably take an 8-10 space rack, but it\'s doable.

A digression: Is it worth the hassle to schlepp this stuff when you play solo piano?

For me, it depends on the venue. It depends, mostly, on whether or not I can hear myself well. If I CAN hear myself well it\'s certainly worth it. I\'ll stick my neck out here ( not much) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and say that these piano libraries inspire us all to play better. Enjoyment of what you\'re doing is a BIG factor in live performance.

Michael

Go Back to forum