• Register
  • Help

Topic: Swing Low

Swing Low

ever since hearing dvorak\'s new world on that hovis advert thirty years ago, i have been fascinated by the sound of brass bands. unfortunately i know nothing about arranging for them. but undaunted i have tried my hand at a fairly simple version of the english rugby( [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) song swing low sweet chariot. it\'s not great but...

as always all comments and offers of free beer welcome.

mick ó c

Re: Swing Low

Depending on where you are in the Netherlands, you can hear many great brass bands.

As you see, I play in a brass CHOIR, which does not use cornets, tenor horns, etc. as a true brass band does.

If you dig back a while, you can hear a chart I did for the Brass Choir--a Steely Dan medley. Search under \"Snorlax Live--Part I\" or something like that. I\'m also going to post some snippets of a euphonium concerto I\'ve played a couple times with wind band accompaniment.

With all this talent around here, I\'m hoping someone will be inspired to write some for the euphonium, esp. when it becomes part of a GPO library!!

Give me an idea of where you are and I\'ll try to find a live band for you to hear!

Hwyl (my Welsh roots--the \"other side\" of Cardigan Bay! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

had a listen to the steely dan stuff and great it was too.
    i live in the hague and as i said i love the sound of brass bands but although i have heard bands on the radio and tv i must admit i\'ve never been to a band concert. (i have marched against thatcher during that miner\'s strike and there were colliery bands on the demos, but that doesn\'t really count.)
    anyway due to the lack of interest i have now updated the track with the proper version. it\'s not that much different to the other file but it is the one i meant to upload in the first place.

mick ó c

Hi man

I\'m not too much of a fan of the brass choirs. But I listened to your other music that you had posted. The Eriskay piece was awesome! What instruments did you use (if you do not mind me asking)?

Thanks in advance [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- JUNK

yeah i have no real experience of this brass stuff but i thought i\'d try my hand at it.
    i\'m glad you liked the scottish thing, i come from a trad irish background so the eriskay piece is far closer to home for me. it is actually on the garritan demo page where there is also a wee explanation of how it was done.
    the instruments harps, harpsichord, timpani, piccolo, from gpo and an uillean pipe sample. there\'s an english horn there as well but you can\'t really hear it.
    thanks for giving a listen.

mick ó c

Go Back to forum