• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Memory Prices -- Need Personal Studio DFD!

Share/Bookmark

Memory Prices -- Need Personal Studio DFD!

Ah, since Alan locked the other post I guess I need to start a new one (I can understand locking a post if it gets out of hand, but that one really hadn\'t...)

Yes, I was misspoken about DDR -- unfortunately, I have RDRam and for that the prices are truly sky high. It would cost me, even at third party costs, around $900 to upgrade my system 1gig. So getting more memory ain\'t an option for many of us. In that regard that poster was right on the money.

That\'s why Gary (and Tom) truly need to incorporate DFD in the next release. Since it\'s now stable, this is truly the only way to go and I\'m hoping to see this is the Personal Studio ASAP.

Re: Memory Prices -- Need Personal Studio DFD!

It wasn\'t out of hand true, it was just a waste of everyone\'s time for it seems the original poster had no intentions of following up and actually trying to learn anything from the post, it was trolling.

I have RDRAM also and would love nothing more for GPO to stream like Kontakt does, but seeing how you can load GPO into Kontakt, I simply don\'t see it being a high priority for GPO. I would much rather see new instruments added and the small bugs (mostly Mac) worked out for the current version.

EDIT: I just got off the cell with Gary, he has been talking to NI and we hope to have DFD implemented, but I\'m not making any promises! Gary and NI have been working on the DFD implementation and all I can say right now is that it should be coming...

I feel your pain on the memory thing man, I have 768MB of PC1066 RDRAM and could\'t afford another stick even if I wanted, I could buy GOS at the cost it would take for another stick of this stuff.

I hope to upgrade my mobo soon and go with the dirt cheap DDR...

The newest version of Kontakt seems to stream very efficiently and I’m sure, in time, that performance will make it into the Kontakt player. But that isn’t the biggest problem when considering adding streaming to GPO. As I’ve discussed before, the biggest problem is the very real legal jeopardy in which Gary would be placing himself by adding this feature. The safest course of action is to wait until all legal questions concerning streaming are settled. Until then, the feature is available now for users who own the full version of Kontakt. Gary will continue to weigh the choices but until this issue has a headstone placed firmly on its grave I will advise against the inclusion of streaming. Better an option now than a potential company-breaker later. Streaming would be a wonderful addition but this is serious stuff and, for a small company, it calls for erring on the side of caution.

Tom

Mike,

You might want to look into a new mother board. They are under $100 for a good one, and then you could use cheap ram.

I have the same problem at work with a Dell using RDram, but I was fortunate that there were some other machines that had more ram than needed and I swapped some out to bring mine to 2 gigs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

-- Martin

I do have the full version of Kontakt, but it can\'t be used with Finale -- hence my desire to have DFD available in Studio (which *can* be used with Finale).

Tom, I do understand legal issues, but since you guys use the NI player could you not simply drop back to a previous player if legal problems arise. Besides -- even with the full version of Kontakt I had to download the DFD thingee as a separate plugin. Surely this approach could be incorporated into Studio, right?

As was originally mentioned, I understand with a small shop priorities have to be made. If it\'s a choice between DFD and the Big Band plugin, for example, I\'d say to heck with DFD for now. But if there are some simple programming hooks to be made without much further ado, I would love to see you guys go for it.

Switching computers at this time just isn\'t an option for me, as I have way too much invested in my Dell right now. Even though I have a spare old box, by the time I bought a new motherboard, graphics card, CPU and disk drive I\'d have spent $900 anyway. Besides, isn\'t DFD really the way to go anyway. Let\'s pretend I had two gig -- then I would want/need 4 gig when Big Band and Diva plugins come out. It\'s a never ending battle that\'s better fought on the disk drive front, where large capacities truly are dirt cheap.

So... I\'m still making a strong plea to consider this, guys. It\'s not just for me -- think of how many customers with only 512 or less would love to have GPO. I suspect you\'d pay for development costs in a single weekend.

Not sure if this will help you, but the below site has 512 MB RDRAM starting at $222: http://www.pricewatch.com/

Good luck!
    Dennis

Mike,

I’ll answer some of your questions and then end with some good news.

“Tom, I do understand legal issues, but since you guys use the NI player could you not simply drop back to a previous player if legal problems arise. Besides -- even with the full version of Kontakt I had to download the DFD thingee as a separate plugin. Surely this approach could be incorporated into Studio, right?”

Unfortunately, wrong. The legal issues (including what can and can’t contractually be done with the NI player) go deeper than you might imagine with implications that must be negotiated carefully. Welcome to contract law and its attendant liabilities. I cannot go into more detail about the legal intricacies upon which my objections were based.

“But if there are some simple programming hooks to be made without much further ado, I would love to see you guys go for it.”

So would I, but that’s not the way it works. The reason I strongly advised Gary to approach streaming with considerable caution is because, as long as there was the slightest risk (and I mean the tiniest, itsy-bitsiest, under-a-microscope risk) of legal jeopardy, it was not a wise nor practical move.

Now, for the good news [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]: I spoke with Gary earlier and, as of yesterday, there may be a development that changes everything as far as the legal risk is concerned. If what he told me is true my objections would be eliminated. This may open the possibility of adding the streaming feature in the future without the problems I have discussed. Any further announcements will need to come from Gary.

Tom

Thanks, Tom, for having dialog on this issue -- I realize this is a sensitive area, and there isn\'t a large company I know that would take the time to engage with their users like you and Gary. That makes our GPO experience all the better, and I know good things will befall both of you because of it.

I\'ll wait and hope for the good news to come to fruition-- the last thing I want to see if anything happen to the two of you in any manner, and you know what\'s best.

Tom
    What are the legal problems with streaming....is it a performance rights thing or a software thing. If I missed a thread, could you direct me there? I\'m no lawyer, but i\'ve dealt with a lot of music legal issues and this thread really peaked my curiosity.
    thanks
    Todd Kasow

Todd,

I\'m not at liberty to get specific about the private contractual details that led to my cautions. There are many things I\'m not at liberty to discuss due to NDAs and other ethical obligations. This is one of them. Fortunately, it all may be a thing of the past now with the latest news from Gary, so it\'s probably irrelevant anyway.

Tom

Go Back to forum