• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Lush Strings and Tuning

GPO Lush Strings and Tuning

Hi Folks-

Long time lurker, first time poster here at the Garritan Forum! Well, I finally got GPO and it is amazing what Gary and all have packed (and I mean packed) into this great sample set! I do have a question though and I\'m pretty sure it\'s my fault since the online demos are outstanding!

I\'m just setting up some templates in Cubase SX 2.0 and some presets in GPO, like having a string set, etc. While I\'ve been blown away by the quality of the solo instruments, my issue is with the string sets.

In both the dry and wet samples there seems to be bad tuning on the Lush strings viola, violin 1 and 2 sets. It almost sounds like there\'s modulation going on (and I would think that right away if the mod wheel didn\'t control volume - and the Kontakt player is set correctly) While, I realize in sections, you get the richness from instruments that aren\'t in perfect pitched tune, the lush samples sound pretty bad when mixed with other strings. It sounds like there\'s a really flat player in there and quite noticeable.

So, what am I doing wrong? I know it\'s me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Everything else seems so perfect, there must be something I\'m not catching here. BTW, I tried the strings out of Cubase with the GPO stand-alone player with the same results.

Re: GPO Lush Strings and Tuning

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place and, if your like me, you\'ll spend alot of time here.

OK, on to your problem. I know that you said the Kontakt player was set up right, but you might want to check the variablility controls or the portamento. I know that screwed me up a little at first.

I hope this helps, if not, I\'m sure somebody here will be able to help you. Once again, welcome to the forum. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

By the way,

..is that a picture of you or Mark Paul Gosslar? (spelled something like that)

You know, Zack from Saved by the Bell.

Just wondering! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thanks for the response. Yeah, that\'s me in an old press photo. And, I don\'t think I\'ll be on \"Saved by the Bell\" or \"NYPD Blue\" anytime soon! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This forum is definitely a major reason for purchasing GPO. While the demos and the product, itself, are great, the sense of community around GPO os a major selling factor. It almost has an open-source project feel with everyone helping everyone out in the hopes of making GPO even better! Having Gary and the other developers on this board is a big plus too!

The Lush strings are not really intended to be mixed with the other string choices. I suspect that you are reacting to the very strong vibratos contained in these composite samples. Gary wished to include these to give users a distinctly different choice in string section sustain sound. I would suggest confining yourself to the other section string choices if you find the heavy vibratos of the Lush patches disturbing. Layering solo strings with the standard sections strings can give you a more flexible way to increase the intensity of vibrato in the sections strings. Intensity can be controlled by the ratio of solo to section strings (and the ratio can be dynamically varied during a passage, if you wish).

Thanks Tom-

I will try the other sections instead. My main goal with the strings in GPO is not to use them in a traditional classical way. Most of my songs are Elton John-esque and the strings will be used in a straight-forward \"pad\" manner, almost as in \"Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word\".

I think I need to study more of the demos and separate myself from the \"pad\" mentality and really try to build sections as you suggested versus playing chord layers as I\'m used to. I immediately jumped to the Lush strings since they seemed to have the most sustain to them. I have a feeling with the \"shorter\" sustained string sections I\'ll just need to be more creative with my parts - which is a good thing!

“I immediately jumped to the Lush strings since they seemed to have the most sustain to them. I have a feeling with the \"shorter\" sustained string sections I\'ll just need to be more creative with my parts - which is a good thing!”

If I read your post right I think you have misunderstood one of the naming conventions. The Sustain-Short instruments aren’t shorter than the Lush strings – they are both looped for unlimited sustain. The “Short” in the name refers to the fact that these patches have short bow samples layered with the sustain samples so that the user can play long or short bows from the same patch – no need to load in separate articulations. Higher velocities make the layered short bow attacks more audible so: Higher velocities with short note lengths give you short bows, higher velocities with long note lengths give you accented sustains, and lower velocities with long note lengths give you sustains with gentle attacks. Add to this the sustain pedal legato feature and you have a single patch that can supply a number of necessary articulations in one self-contained instrument.

While we\'re on this subject could you explain if it\'s necessary to alter the velocity during the note to get a realistic short bow?

IOW, if I\'m adding velocity info after the fact (painting it in in Sonar, for example) can I just bump up the velocity for a section by setting it to some high number overall and get short bows for the quick notes, or do you need to have the velocity start low, rapidly rise and then taper off during the note (the kind of thing that would occur if you pressed hard on a velocity sensitive keyboard -- it wouldn\'t immediately start high but start at zero and go high and then go back down. Am I making myself clear here?)

Velocity applies to the initial note \"on\" only. It\'s a single event per note and is intrinsically tied to the note. If you strike a velocity sensitive keyboard hard the velocity data does not \"build\" as the note proceeds - it\'s a single event (in this case a high velocity value) at the beginning of the note. Sonar is smart enough to know this so when you \"paint\" velocity values only one per note will appear. As with all MIDI data it can be altered after the fact. This doesn\'t mean you can\'t shape things if you want to, it\'s just that shaping of volume is done with mod wheel data (cc#1).

Bingo! For some reason my mind didn\'t see the Sustain on the Short+SUS samples! That did the trick. Thanks very much for the help!

Go Back to forum