• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio cards experience with GPO

Audio cards experience with GPO

Hi all,

I am just about to upgrade my audio card, and I am in doubt among the acclaimed M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, a Terratec EWX 24-96 and, may be an Echo Mia MIDI. I have heard good comments on all three, and I was wandering if any GPO user would like to share any comments on audio card experience, as its primary usage will be for music production with this library and Cubase SX.

Thank you very much in advance,

I\'ve seen things you people wouldn\'t believe...

Re: Audio cards experience with GPO

I\'ve used the audiophile for 6 months now with great results. Can\'t comment on the other 2.

The Terratec is a legacy card that was designed to work with Pre-XP operating systems. I had a lot of trouble with one under XP. I\'ve had very good luck with the Mia (not midi).

-- Martin

Kauai, Hawaii, USA

I love my M-Audio Firewire [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] 410 (which will handle 8 or 10 audio outs for monitoring multi-channel) and which does S/PDIF in/out, MIDI in/out and analog. (I use it on a SONY 2.66 gHz 1 gig RAM system and love the convenience of ONE firewire to the computer and the other 8 to 12 cables into the Firewire outboard box which is positioned far more conveniently than the back of the PC.)

I\'ve had a Terratec Card for 9 months and I went through every possible problem and catastrophe with it. Personally I will never buy anything fomr them again, even if they would be the last remaining company that offers soundcards. After getting thoroughly fed up with it I sold it, saved up, bought a M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 plus a SB Augidy2 ZS and never looked back.

Both cards run perfectely together. The bottom line is: Anything except Terratec is good and I recommend the M-Audio card.

UK- teeming with life....

I am currently using the Russian KX drivers with an SBLive; an incredibly cheap solution even after donating to the writers. ASIO2 with very low latency and hardware effects. The work the creators have put into the drivers is quite remarkable.

However this is only a fill-in, until I purchase a ‘proper’ card. However, if my experience continues to be positive I may just carry on with it especially as I become used to the intricacies of the powerful driver interfaces. I was actually waiting until NAMM and the Musik Messe were over in case someone made a quantum leap.

I want to keep Gigastudio open as an option (GPO has led me on to going with Kontakt) which rules out the new EMU cards which haven\'t a GS driver and also, by some accounts, the Echo Mia. Bruce Richardson even had a campaign going recently on the samples forum. This was a pity as I had previously thought this was the card to go with following Martin Walker’s SOS reviews. Bruce’s and others problems with GS have put me off.

I have been homing in on the ESI Waveterminal 192L (Haydn, of Beethoven’s fifth fame, uses one in one of his PCs and so does another poster here) or 192X as they have very clever, versatile drivers and low latency. I haven’t ruled out an Audiophile though. The Audiophile seems to be a very solid, good sounding card and is very reasonably priced these days.

I must admit I find it hard to decide as I don’t fully understand the importance of features like direct hardware monitoring, for example, and even if I did it’s finding out which cards have it. I don’t think the Audiophile does. I was also considering the Terratec DMX 6fire…but I have heard a couple of things about that too….pro and con.

All this makes it a tricky decision and one that I don’t want to get wrong! It seem a bit of a minefield to me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I have used the Audiophile 24/96 for a couple of years now.

I have experienced no issues with it. It is a great sounding card. Drivers are updated farequently and yes it does do direct hardware monitoring.

Hi, and thank you very much for sharing your experiences. From your comments, it seems that I can\'t get wrong with the Audiophile, so it is almost sure that I will choose that one.

But I have another question, if you don\'t mind.

M-Audio is currently offering several flavours of the Audiophile: the \"classic\" PCI card, and an USB and firewire interfaces, been the last one, the most recent, I think.

Does anyone know if they are similar in sound quality and reliability? I am not confident with the USB version, but an external firewire card sounds good to me, if it keeps the converters out of my noisy PC box.

I don\'t think that your audiocard does influence much the usage of GPO. Sure you need a good latency...but that is standard nowadays. More important is to have a fast CPU and tons of RAM.

I personally use the terratec ewx 24/96 for years without any trouble under Win XP. I think the audiophile is exactly the same level.....so your decision can\'t go really wrong...

I use the Tascam US-428 sound card/controller with Win XP Home, everything\'s groovin\' fine here.

Go Back to forum