• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to improve midi mockup of ravel (midi + mp3)

How to improve midi mockup of ravel (midi + mp3)

I have created a midi mockup of Maurice Ravel\'s \"Pavane de la Belle au bois dormant\" from the Mother Goose Suite (Ma Mere l\'Oye).

What is sadly missing in my midi mockup, compared to the real orchestra recording, is aliveness. I have tried a number of things to approve the aliveness, but those did not help enough and I am now rather stuck what to do further.

Do you know how I can get more life in my midi mockup?

You can find more information, including the midi file, an Audio Logic 5.5 file and the audio (mp3) file in my post on the general Sample Libraries Discussion forum:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=155870&page=0&amp ;view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#155870

Re: How to improve midi mockup of ravel (midi + mp3)

Well...i must say i\'ve heard already much worse midi versions. This one is quite good! The flutes and woodwind part is wonderful (at least for my ears)....the strings could be perhaps be improved: dunno how the original was meant (could be that strings should play constantly that cautious level), but I would draw decent volume curves to let them breathe & move. the legato is Ok.

Re: How to improve midi mockup of ravel (midi + mp3)

Hi GigaLove,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not completely happy too about the strings at the end.

The legato aspect is one thing. When I use the legato pedal, the \"transitions\" between the subsequent notes in each phrase were too fast in comparison with the real orchestra recording. Without the legato pedal however, the transitions become to slow, giving unwanted gaps between the notes. So as compromise, I choose to play with legato pedal, but by using a small portamento value I got note transitions that sounded closer to what I hear on the orchestra recording.

About the dynamics, the score tells that the strings at the end should play \"pp\" throughout and does not show any any other dynamic markings there. But if I listen carefully at the orchestra recording, they are not played that static. I do hear volume changes, especially with the violins. I will try to see what I can do there.

Go Back to forum