Topic: Surround mic ? Look at that...

Share/Bookmark

Surround mic ? Look at that...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Yes, look a that... thing...

http://www.immersivesound.com/presentation.php?page=28

The new Alien V sculpture ?

( In this web site : http://www.immersivesound.com/ )

And this one :
    (Sorry, in French...)
    http://www.trinnov.com/

Weird, no ?

Re: Surround mic ? Look at that...

Damn! More weird looking technology. Perhaps this strange cable from the other thread fell off this device.

From the other thread....
    \"I was cleaning up around my entertainment center today, and came across a cable that I have no idea what it is:

The male end is a mini-stereo plug. On the other end is a prune-shaped piece of plastic with what appears to be a small light on the end. It says \"Pioneer\" on top. What the #*@%?

Is it from Outer Space? Please help!!!\"

Cheers
    Dave

Invaders are here, I tell you...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The Soundfield Mark V is not as weird looking, but has been around for years. In fact, the original GigaPiano had a bit of Soundfield mixed into it, I believe...but Seyer turned up those cursed 4033s and drowned it out, I guess, because when I hear that piano, all I hear are those dang honky 4033s.

I have long been of the opinion that the highest use for a 4033 would be to gather them all up and melt them into manhole covers.

You know, Bruce, Dave Moulton did a shoot-out with several mics on vox a few years ago (for an article when I was at Recording). Even with the singer in the room for comparison, the panel liked the bright 4033 sound.

I personally liked the B&K best when I heard the recordings in his studio a few months later, but go figure.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

[ QUOTE ]
    You know, Bruce, Dave Moulton did a shoot-out with several mics on vox a few years ago (for an article when I was at Recording). Even with the singer in the room for comparison, the panel liked the bright 4033 sound.

I personally liked the B&K best when I heard the recordings in his studio a few months later, but go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go figure, indeed. I have only sold one microphone in my life, and it was a 4033. I still have every other mic I\'ve bought since I was 12 years old. I tried for about four years to find anything it was the best-sounding choice for recording, and couldn\'t come up with one single track.

In my opinion, the single worst thing about the original GigaPiano is the fact that Larry Seyer used 4033s as the main source. The sound is classic 4033 all the way--clogged, overpresent high mids, and a brightness that is non-transparent. And my complaint about the resulting sound is the same as any other 4033 track I have made myself--sounds great until you start getting into the mix, and then you can\'t get it to sit anywhere except on the surface. It won\'t move without either clogging up the works, or getting lost. And that was exactly my GigaPiano experience. When I got GigaSampler, I was having my hardwoods redone, so I sat in a makeshift studio in my kitchen, all sealed in plastic, and played that piano in headphones for about two weeks. I was just in love with it. Then when I finally got back in the saddle (after I\'d reviewed it--yikes) I started trying to get it working in mixes, and couldn\'t get it to play nice with other instruments at all.

Maybe the singer in question had a voice that responded to the 4033\'s weird sound. I just hate \'em. I guess there\'s no accounting for taste...

I like 4050s. To me, that\'s a totally different sound, and doesn\'t have that same opaque upper mid. Different capsule, obviously, but it seems that it\'s more than just a dual sided version of the 4033.

You know, something that actually might factor for that \"test\" case you mentioned is that people weren\'t actually living with that track very long. Kind of like the Aural Exciter/BBE phenomenon. When you first rack it up, you\'re totally hooked and wonder how you have ever worked without it. Two months later, you\'re using it once in a blue moon to hollow out a too-thick guitar track. Could be that the brightness and opacity were somewhat seductive at first blush. That\'s why I bought the cursed thing in the first place, because somebody brought one over for me to try, and the guy I was producing at the time sounded very present on it. But ultimately, we ended up ditching the tracks we did on it, and opted for a GrooveTubes MD-1, which fit his voice like a glove, and had much more fluidity in the mix. I always thought they ruined that mic when they redesigned it into the MD-1a. They made it quieter and cleaner, but it lost that magical something it had. I haven\'t heard a 1b. I was going to have them refurbish mine (they weren\'t very well constructed, and the suspension is now shot), but I am scared that it\'s going to come back sounding like a different mic, because the only rebuilds they do are to the new 1b spec.

Crap, I am rambling like an idiot. Too much coffee man strikes again.

Go Back to forum