• Register
  • Help

Topic: Again: Please help! Drop outs when samples are played for the first time after reboot

Share/Bookmark

Again: Please help! Drop outs when samples are played for the first time after reboot

Always when I play an instrument in GS fpr the first time after reboot there is a crack/drop out and the hard disk is working. After that the instrument can be played without cracks. Are the waves cached then? I thought GS always plays directly from hard disk?

WIP

Re: Again: Please help! Drop outs when samples are played for the first time after reboot

hiya m8,
    i read in your first post that you are experiencing cracles and you only wrote some things about your hardware specs . . .
    hmhmh, difficult, but first you´ve to check the memory:
    buy good infineon or micron ram, 2 or 3 cycle, thats important, and then, GET RID OF THE A7V mobo !!!!!!

plz, belive me, i had it for 3/4 year, only probs with the 4in1 drivers, the raid controller.
    sure, i loved the board cause of the possibility to connect many hd´s, but get rid of it to ensure a working system.

some people got no probs, but i know a lot of people who got thousands of different probs with it. asus never managed the probs of users which are working in the multimedia scene, especially the audio business. the latest 4in1 drivers are a little joke, the german mag ct and other online services wrote, these drivers would disturb the hd performance !!!! asus should take these horrible boards back !

after buying the new asus a7m266 i got no probs at all, rocksolid board with ddr ram and it can be run with a 100 mhz fsb cpu.
    go for it !!!!!

max. polyphony without crackles, cubase and other little proggies run the same time . . .

saxology

Re: Again: Please help! Drop outs when samples are played for the first time after reboot

Well, the memory is ok. It is one Infineon 256MB CL2 bank. Would be nice if someone could give more detailed explanation why the a7v133 should be the problem.

WIP

hmmh, yes, m8, your memory is very good.

yeah, the asus board is a crap cause of the via north and southbridge combination.
    a professional video artist had the same problems as i had before. i experience now NO probs with the new asus a7m, a combination of the via and, more important, the new amd 761 chipset, rockstable, and of course, very fast for loading up really big instruments like the boesendorfer etc.

maybe you do a search on asus a7v+problems, i know of some good infos at www.heise.de, but they are in german.

saxfun

German is ok. I\'m German as well. :-)

WIP

WIP, if you haven\'t done so already, make sure you have the correct VCACHE settings. Go to your Start|Run menu and type in \"msconfig\" (without the quotes) and run it. Now select the System.Ini tab and go down to the VCACHE item and expand it. If your machine runs both GS and a sequencer, you should have something that looks like this:

[vcache]
    MinFileCache=16384
    MaxFileCache=16384
    ChunkSize=512

If this machine is a dedicated machine that run only GS and nothing else, it should be this:

[vcache]
    MinFileCache=0
    MaxFileCache=0
    ChunkSize=512

This will prevent Windows from preloading too much of a gigasample in memory and allow GS to manage the caching.

Go Back to forum