• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: String Quartet question.

Share/Bookmark

String Quartet question.

I am wondering why with studio I can only get three staves to sound in a string quartet. Violin, Viola, Cello sound. Dbl Bs will not sound. I know I know string quartet is defined as normally Violin 1 & 2, Viola, and Cello. I added the Dbl bs for more depth.
    Any insight as to why the bass isn\'t sounding.
    Thanks

Re: String Quartet question.

Um, perhaps you did not add the appropriate clef?

The bass is pretty far down in the register, and needs a bass clef to sound (duh). If you tried putting notes on a treble clef it will be out of the bass range.

This is assuming you\'re using notational software.

Styxx,

Another thing: Have you assigned and are you addressing the correct MIDI channel?

Tom

Hi;

The double bass sounds an octave lower than written. You need to write an octave higher than the actual sound. That is assuming that you have loaded the bass patch into a GPO studio player and it is assigned to a midi chanel not used by the other instruments you are using.

Ira Kraemer

[ QUOTE ]
    Um, perhaps you did not add the appropriate clef?

The bass is pretty far down in the register, and needs a bass clef to sound (duh). If you tried putting notes on a treble clef it will be out of the bass range.

This is assuming you\'re using notational software.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know my cleffs thank you. I am using Overture that came with GPO. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi;

The double bass sounds an octave lower than written. You need to write an octave higher than the actual sound. That is assuming that you have loaded the bass patch into a GPO studio player and it is assigned to a midi chanel not used by the other instruments you are using.

Ira Kraemer

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Exactly! I did do just that and still nothing sounded. Just for grins I tried as written and the octave as you noted only to have the same results. I am still not quite up to par with this software yet. I usually get one night a week (Sunday) to explore it and often manage only to scratch the surface.
    The midi chanel assignment may be an issue. I may have overlooked it during th set up of the instruments.
    Forgive me if I sound really out there. I had the worst rehearsal so far this year today!
    Thanks for your help.
    By the way Ira, you have my admiration! Love your work!

[ QUOTE ]
    Styxx,

Another thing: Have you assigned and are you addressing the correct MIDI channel?

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Tom, give this dead head a clear path to look. I may have messed something up. By the way, all the instruments are on player one. Will that have anything to do with it?
    Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
    Styxx,

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all my hair is gone now. I can\'t figure it out. Just like every other problem I\'ve faced, it is most likely right under my mouse, er...ah...finger. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    I think I need new glasses of a brain. I had two of them but I lost one and the other has been out looking for the first for quite some time now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Styxx,

By the way, all the instruments are on player one. Will that have anything to do with it

Shouldn\'t so long as each instrument is assigned a separate MIDI channel. I assume you have added Mod Wheel data (cc1) to bring the level of the bass up? Figured you had since the other instruments are working for you.

Here are some other troubleshooting suggestions: Try substituting a percussive instrument like piano (to avoid mod wheel and any range problems) to see if you can get the channel to respond. If that works then you know that the problem is not MIDI channel assignment. Then load something like French horn, bring up the mod wheel and see if that works. If it does then you know that mod wheel is also working. Try a different solo string instrument. If that works then return to the double bass. The problem then would almost certainly be a range issue. Use a test scale that covers the entire range down to the bottom of the MIDI spec so that you are absolutely sure you\'ve covered all possible octaves. Don\'t forget the Mod Wheel data. If you are still greeted with silence try loading the bass into a second instance of the Kontakt player. If that doesn\'t do it give Gary a call when he gets back mid week.

Tom

Well, I guess I\'ll have to wait to conquer this one. I tried everything you listed and the problem continued. If I click on each of the first three staves I am able to play their respective sounds. On the forth, no sound even with an instrument loaded. Has to be a chanel problem and how do I find it?
    At 8pm EST I\'m watching Spartagus. I sware the opening score has Diva in it!

Go Back to forum