• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "The Armies Clash" Demo

Share/Bookmark

\"The Armies Clash\" Demo

Title chosen based on a tentative backstory that accompanies a soundtrack I\'m working on...anywho...the first piece rendered with GPO (Studio + Overture) is this:

The Armies Clash

Wheeee. This is the full version of the \"Battle March\" demo which is now a couple pages back...

Instrumentation:
    Basic Orchestral Percussion Combo, French Horns (Overlay FF, Ensembles 1 & 2), Trumpets (Overlay, Ensembles 1 + 2, Straight Mute Solo), Trombones (Overlay, Ensemble), Flutes (Ensemble), 1st Violins Sustain + Short Bows, 2nd Violins Sustain + Short Bows, Violas Sustain + Short Bows, Cellos Lush, Harp

The playing is little unsteady, but my memory is being stretched very thin here...even had to reduce the instrumentation at a couple points.

Still experimenting with ambience reverb. The snares seem a little messed up on the \"Concert Hall 1\" setting.

Re: \"The Armies Clash\" Demo

Oh I like it very much. There was much development going on compared to the first version. Good work ..

Malte

Reverb tends to mottle the sound of a snare if used too extensively. You want the notes to sound as tight as possible. A subtle ambience I think would give a better dramatic effect for the snare and for that matter all the percussion. That\'s just the 25 years of percussion in me. Just my observation.
    As for the piece as a whole...Excellent! I could visualize the armies clashing like in the movie Spartagus! Absolutely nice work with the strings!

Hey fellow Taxachusettsian

I love the brass work. Sounds really great. I also like the development. I\'d have to agree with Styxx though, that you should lessen the reverb on the snare drum.

I love the piano part towards the end. Really good piece, mate.

- Junk

Thanks everyone! Junkmonkey, there\'s no piano in this piece. Perhaps you were hearing a harp?

GPO Studio doesn\'t allow separate instances of reverb to be applied to specific instruments, but Cubasis will do the trick...simply need to reduce the reverb on the percussive instruments and not the others.

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks everyone! Junkmonkey, there\'s no piano in this piece. Perhaps you were hearing a harp?

GPO Studio doesn\'t allow separate instances of reverb to be applied to specific instruments, but Cubasis will do the trick...simply need to reduce the reverb on the percussive instruments and not the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wouldn\'t touch anything else. This piece is golden. Nice work!

Love it!!

Great piece Cerrabore!

Just got around to listening to this piece!

I must say this is very, very good. If there was a quibble it would be with the horns and to a lesser extent with all the brass; the horns should have a slight swell near the end of the held notes, and also a little \'trail off\' at the end of a phrase. This will breath a little more life into them.

I would also go for maximum attack (velocity) on all the brass pretty much as this is a lively piece and it does show up some of the minor short-comings of GPO doing pieces of this nature. Brass can often be the \'weak spot\' in GPO, but if you put in some work they can sound quite good.

I know I\'ve been sounding critical of GPO as of late, but really I think it\'s the best value in an orchestral library. Some other forums have complained of weak brass, but they can sound pretty good with careful attention to attacks and expression.

Yeah, I must admit I\'ve been substituting velocity for modulation, and there are places where that won\'t work. Will add more crescendos and decrescendos!

Too bad about the brass. I\'ll be using a LOT of it...

Go Back to forum