• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt/GPO load times ???????

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt/GPO load times ???????

The issue: horrible load times for GPO player and now Kontakt 1.5.2.

This popped up when the GPO update came out a while back. Now it has appeared in the Kontakt 1.5.2 update. Was there a workaround or fix that I missed or are you guys just living with projects that take 10 minutes to load? (This would be projects that used to load in under a minute!)

Also my memory usage is now through the roof when I was coming in at well under my 1.5 gigs before.

Re: Kontakt/GPO load times ???????

Layne,

On the Garritan site ( www.garritan.com/troubleshooting.html ) is the following question/answer:

Q: I am experiencing slow load times
    A: Beginning with version 1.0.2.006 there is a new feature which basically marks some/all the memory used by GO for samples as non pageable. Although overall GPO performance is better, load times are slower for some PC users. You can disable this behavior by setting the registry/preferences key “disableMemoryPaging” to 0. If you are experiencing this we can send you a reg file fix. The user will have the option of activating/deactivating this in the next update of the player.

Tom

Thanks, Tom

Is this something I can RegEdit myself or do I have to get the .reg file?

[ QUOTE ]
    You can disable this behavior by setting the registry/preferences key “disableMemoryPaging” to 0.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! What an improvement! Not only does the Studio program load quicker, but loading up my full array of 63 instruments loads maybe 5 times quicker! Plus, I no longer get a warning that memory is running low - which I never understood seeing that I have 2.5 GB of RAM and there was always over 1 GB of RAM remaining after loading everything!

For those wishing to experiment with the registry, the locations is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Native Instruments\\GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA\\disableMemoryPaging.

Always use with caution when fooling around with the registry.

Steve Barden

Layne,

You can edit it yourself using regedit if you are comfortable working in the registry. Just be careful and save a copy of your present registry before you make any changes so that you can retreat if something goes wrong. If you are using WinXP and have the restore function activated you can use that as a safety net too. But this should be a relatively easy mod to the registry. If you aren\'t comfortable making these changes manually, wait to get the reg file from Gary.

Tom

Ahhhh, Much better now! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh, by the way, for anyone using Kontakt 1.5.2 (i.e. not the GPO player) this can be set under the options menu. turn off the switch that says \"Lock Memory (No Swap).

Thanks, guys.

Hey bmp, I have a Mac. I am not sure where I can find that below specified file. Can you halp me out where to find this? Is it in the preferences folder?

For those wishing to experiment with the registry, the locations is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Native Instruments\\GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA\\disableMemoryPaging.

Always use with caution when fooling around with the registry.

Go Back to forum