• Register
  • Help

Topic: White Grand SOS Review

Share/Bookmark

White Grand SOS Review

The White Grand gets a great review in SOS http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may04/articles/sampleshop.htm?
    They\'ve knocked a star off for \"However, it\'s hard to imagine jazz and classical pianists warming to its slightly middly tone and rather percussive attack, both perhaps the result of miking too close.\" (Must be that since that\'s the only \"negative\" thing in the review...)
    But, as we say in our marketing: The White Grand is a contemporary, studio grand piano that\'s supposed to be bright and close miked....
    Anyway, it\'s a great review and 4 stars are always 4 stars....

Re: White Grand SOS Review

Congratulations!.

I wouldn\'t worry about the stars. The report is positively glowing with praise, emphasing the novelties as well as the sonic clarity. I remember the SAM Horns got 4 stars and I doubt it damaged sales!. There are probably very few people out there who\'ve used them and wouldn\'t say they\'re the best available.

hv

Kudos on the review. Although Dave might not know where to sit in the orchestra, he also writes for Keyboard Magazine.

Howard

I had read the review earlier and had thought the star had been knocked off because of the unsampled black keys.

[ QUOTE ]
    I had read the review earlier and had thought the star had been knocked off because of the unsampled black keys.

[/ QUOTE ]
    First of all, I think that the review was great and well written. 5 stars would have been nice, but it doesn’t really matter since the review was so positive!
    If he knocked a star off for “only” sampling the white keys I suppose no sampled library would have 5 stars since a sampled instrument always is a simpler version of the real thing in one way or another.
    The White Grand has 36 samples/note, that is 16 samples pedal up, 16 pedal down and 4 release samples. This is unique for the White Grand and no other sampled piano has this.
    In my opinion, it gives the White Grand dynamics and seamless transitions between the velocity layers, so that you can play from pp to ff not noticing the transitions between the layers.
    I think, (again, my opinion), that this adds more to the realism then sampling all the keys and has less velocity layers. It’s extremely hard, (if possible?) to, in a blind test, to pick out a note that’s been transposed half a note.
    Why not have both 36 samples/note AND all notes sampled?
    Well, the instrument would simply be too big for 99% of all systems today if we did that.

I didnt mean to sound complaining. I love the white grand demos and have been meaning to buy it. I was just pointing out why they might have decreased the score.

[ QUOTE ]
    I didnt mean to sound complaining. I love the white grand demos and have been meaning to buy it. I was just pointing out why they might have decreased the score.

[/ QUOTE ]

He, he... didn\'t think you were. Same thing here, I\'m not complaining over the review, I think it was great and well written!

Go Back to forum