• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Does anybody watch Trading Spaces?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Does anybody watch Trading Spaces?

Hey everyone,

Do any of you watch \"Trading Spaces\" on TLC? They\'ve been having this contest where teams compete and the winners get their mortgages paid off up to

... WAIT FOR IT....

...$350,000.00!

I could pay my mortgage four times with that! What does a $350,000.00 house look like and why are they being redone on a TV show?

Sorry for being so far off topic, but I just had to get this off my chest.

Well, I gotta go. My wife and I are remodeling our house and I\'ve got to jack up our dinning room floor. Hi Ho Hi Ho, it\'s off to work I go! Blasted Reality TV. How dare it inspire my wife to make me do work!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Later,
    Jonny

Re: OT: Does anybody watch Trading Spaces?

\"What does a $350,000.00 house look like and why are they being redone on a TV show?\"

Funny, my wife and I watch those shows every Saturday morning. My brother in law just bought a house for his mother and father after a healthy settlement. Cost of the house? $300,000.00! What\'s it look like? Nothing I would like. Why are they being redone on a TV show? Spoiled or nothing better to do? Ratings?
    I think I\'ll stick to GPO. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Jonny,

This is mostly an issue of the old axiom about real estate (What\'s the most important three things about real estate? Location, location, location.)

My wife and I live in a house valued at around $280,000 (indeed, we\'ve already had an offer because we want to move in about 6 months). We\'re not rich, and the house ain\'t nothing to write home about (okay, it\'s not shanty town, but it\'s not a mansion, either, although I live on an acre). My mom lives in a house valued at well over $350,000 and it is as tiny as they come, about half the size (and niceness) of my home. I am friends with a Hollywood producer who came out to my home and was so envious of where we live, because his own home was not nearly as nice -- and it cost well over $1,000,000.

He lived in Hollywood, naturally, my mom lives in Orange Country, CA, and I live in Carson City, NV. Obviously there are a lot cheaper places to live -- we are hoping to live somewhere cheaper on my retirement. If I can find a decent home for around $180,000 I\'ll be thrilled.

The bottom line -- it isn\'t the house, it\'s the location. Truly.

350K will get you a very nice parking space in Manhattan.

cb

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey everyone,

Do any of you watch \"Trading Spaces\" on TLC? They\'ve been having this contest where teams compete and the winners get their mortgages paid off up to

... WAIT FOR IT....

...$350,000.00!

I could pay my mortgage four times with that! What does a $350,000.00 house look like and why are they being redone on a TV show?

Later,
    Jonny

[/ QUOTE ]

In Los Angeles, a 350,000 mortgage looks like a single roomed condo, in the middle of crack-hell. That\'s a down payment just about everywhere else in the city. IF, you could even find the inventory.

Since we are OT and talking about homes.

What a mess we have been going through. We have had our house on the market for 6 months and in that time we have had 34 showings, 5 offers and 4 contracts.
    Our home is a c1848 farm house fully restored in a small historic town.

4 contacts? Yep, 4! The first one, we released because the buyers wanted to use the house for a doctors office and the town took forever to not rezone the property <even though we pay commercial tax, the town fights that our property is not commercial - ok??> Then we had a young couple that backed out 3 weeks before closing because the husband lost his job. Then we had a couple screw us at the home inspection by adding items not listed by the home inspector <house passed with flying colors by the way>...

Now, we are own our fourth contact and settle on May 28th. New home all ready to go. A 4 story town home 3 bed/2 full bath/2 half bath/9 rooms/4 years old: $198.900.
    I know that in DE this is a lot of house for the money since I use to live in NJ and this house would run about $300.000. Taxes are $1,100.00 a year. In NJ the taxes would be about 6k a year.

Ah, I feel better. Thanks for letting me vent [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and wish us luck this time around!!

ps. 350k in DE is common for a single family home - new construction with some wow factor.

Hey guys,

Wow, I guess I really take the lower cost of living here for granted. :-) My wife and I bought a turn of the century farm house for $72,000. Granted, it needed a little work, but still.

Mr. Kelley, I don\'t know how keen you are of moving to the midwest, but I have to plug the good old Buckeye State. Like I said earlier, the cost of living, especially in the southern part of the state, is extremely low. You could probably find an excellent house here for $180,000.00. Just a suggestion. Besides, those retirement states like Florida are overrated! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just kidding.

Jonny

Jonny,

It\'s very sweet of you to tout your area -- that\'s good, I appreciate that kind of feeling. My wife herself was born in Illinois, and raised in Iowa, and still has lots of family there, so we\'re familar with the midwest.

However, she\'s the one who\'s so anxious to move to Florida. We visit Disney World every two years and she\'s in love with the place. As I said, Location, Location, Location. For her it\'s all about the weather (swimming pool year around) and Disney (she\'d live and work there if she could).

I enjoy Florida myself, but I could be happy almost anywhere, since a computer and DirecTV are all I need <g>. But I\'ve learned long ago never to say never, and Ohio and the midwest are not beyond the realm of possibility. I\'m just very anxious for my retirement to start!

Well, where ever you end up Mike, I sincerely hope you have a happy retirement!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Jonny

Sorry guys, but I can\'t help thinking that you\'re all rather lucky in the States. In the part of the UK where I live, near the south coast, the average house costs $350,000 (£200,000)!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum