• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Did you ever....

West Seneca, NY

Did you ever....

have a melody in your soul that no matter how you wrote, played or sung it, nothing jived! Nothing sounds right! How do you get around it? Not even the rules seem to help. How do you capture what\'s in your heart for the one who matters the most?
    I have this melody that comes inside my head every moment I see my wife. Yeah! You heard right! I happen to be madly in love with my wife!
    But this melody...I can\'t get it right! I am tormented by this inability to make it a reality. I have gotten so far as a ruff piano sketch. Nothing more... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

You may attach a file to this post while editing.
    I don\'t have a file. How about a wrench?

Re: Did you ever....

Ha... good luck Styxx...

I tried the same for my ex-fiance, spent three years writing a piece for her (she was a very talented pianist and I had never played it before but was determined to learn so I could write a piece on it for her).

I ended up with only 1:30 of audio, which I only got to hear her play live once before the tragic end of the relationship...

Poets, painters and musicians have been trying to capture the crazy little thing called love since we made up a word for it... all of them failing.

I wish you luck in your journey... it\'ll be a tough road, that I know.

Do I understand u right that you have a melody and did not succeed to find a fitting arrangement?

-Then it could be that this melody simply does not need an arrangement. Reminds me of a shamane technique to find ones \"life melody\" which is a kind of melody that is the extract/symbol/power of your life...and meant not to share with others. Perhaps you have heard your own or your wifes melody and the tune refuses any further musical work.

-Or it is a kind of archaic tune that needs a simple form: vox/guit or vox/piano...nothing more.

-Or you have to face it.....it\'s crap. Put it in your folder with the other half finished things and forget it. If have plenty of such stuff on my HD.

Your choice.....

West Seneca, NY

\"Or you have to face it.....it\'s crap. Put it in your folder with the other half finished things and forget it. If have plenty of such stuff on my HD.\"

Oh my god my sides are splitting! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I don\'t know how to answer to that except to wipe the tears from my eyes form the laughter!
    You may have something there!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don\'t think you should give up on it. I think works created with true emotion are the most important. I don\'t care much for works created for money, but ones created for a specific personal reason/emotion are always worth the effort and mean the most. This could end up being a most beautiful piece. It will be gratifying nonetheless. Keep at it, it is probably difficult because you want so much to get it right. Maybe I\'ll post a poem I wrote while in the thralls of emotion for ya\'ll to laugh at. No matter Styxx, your piece will be beautiful to the people that matter, you and your wife and that\'s all that matters.

I\'m not clear, but if the problem is capturing the MELODY, then keep a little digital memory recorder with you. When the melody strikes you, sing it into the box, then transcribe later.

If the problem is the arrangement, then listen to the soul of the melody - does it need full orchestra, a pop band, or just a simple accompaniment? Work out the changes, treat it as a lead sheet for awhile - the rest\'ll come to you.

Or, it IS crap, and you\'ll know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

But if it\'s for the one you love, it probably isn\'t crap, it just means you\'re getting in the way...

[ QUOTE ]
    I don\'t care much for works created for money

[/ QUOTE ]

PFFT! Listen to Ice Dance by Danny Elfman (yea, I know I could\'ve chosen from a thousand, but that\'s one of my favorite tunes).

As for you Styxx, the best advice I could offer is to not try to write it. Some things are better left alone, maybe this is one such thing.

We composers (yea, I included myself [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) go to such great lengths for the ones we love. Our passion usually gets the best of us, and we create, or in my case, we TRY to create such wonderful compositions that sometimes we get too carried away in the profoundness of it and we lose the soul, meaning, and reason. Maybe your expectations are too high for this one. Leave it be, let it find it\'s own way out of you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just some amateur advice

- Junk

With 65 years of experience, here\'s my general rule for such kinds of things.

If you try to put those experiences into words, you end up saying much and explaining nothing. Words just get in the way - the EXPERIENCE cannot be defined in words; except perhaps in poetry.

You\'d probably not try to EXPLAIN how you feel to you wife, you might touch her hand and say I love you or simply tear up without saying a word.

You are talking about transcendental experience that is confounded by trying to explain.

Musically (for me anyway) it\'s the same. It is the simple, the elegant, the brief that carries the message. Frequently (again for me) a minor key or modal which somehow illuminates the essence depth yet the transience of these moments and the acknowledgement that this life is all too brief.

Good luck!

West Seneca, NY

Oh I have the melody. It\'s playing it they way I hear it! Be that it may, I did manage to get something close down in Cubasis using piano (oh brother) and flute. Part of me says to orchestrate it and they other say leave it alone. If I could post it for you guys you could give me some musical advice on structure of the composition. But no matter I\'ll continue to pound at it.
    I wanted to see how many of you have something like this haunting you as well. Then again, after hearing your compositions it is hard for me to believe you have.
    And yes Junk you are in my book a very good composer! No BS!

Very nice Fred. What you say is true but I do not have words written for this piece. I find it hard enough to put the emotion in music yet alone words.

Mr. Styxx,

I\'ve had this problem before myself. I would sit and try and try and try to get the melody right. Eventually, I gave up and let it stew for a little while in my head. Then one night, around 2:00 am, I woke up, wide awake for no apparent reason. Instead of laying there, tossing and turning and waking my wife up, I got up and went to my studio.

I began to fiddle around on my piano. Note, I always record myself when I am improvising or just noddeling around. I played for about an hour, not that you can call my hunting and pecking \"playing\", then went back to bed. The next day, I listened to what I had played the night before while I drank some coffee. I almost choked when I actually heard the idea that I had been fighting before. I wrote it and I didn\'t know it.

Another example of this phenomina deals with Bernard Herrmann\'s score for Obsession. He broke down in tears after the first screening. Someone said that it was a very beautiful score. Bernard Herrmann looked up and said that he didn\'t remember writing it. It was done almost unconsiously.

I\'ve discovered that the unconsious mind , for me at least, will usually solve almost any creative problems I have. I try not to force myself to create, I just let myself do it. If I\'m stuck on a particular part, I listen to it a few times, then go away, do something else and come back to it later. Most of the time, my mind has figured out where the tune needs to go.

So, my advice would be not to force it. Inspiration will come. It\'s similiar to the \"Aha Experience\" idea that has got the scientific world in an uproar right now.

Please, let me know if there is any thing I can can help with.

Go Back to forum