Hello to all! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I am experiencing the famous Error Code 5 problem since I upgraded my RAM from 1GB to 2GB.
Before, I could load up to 540MB of samples with a Gigastudio load of 99%.
Now, with 2GB, I can ONLY load 390MB with a load of ONLY 36%!!!
I tried the various registry tweaks proposed by Matthias S. in the VSL forum (PagedPoolQuota, PagedPoolSize and the NonPaged ones) and by composer22 in this forum (IOPageLockLimit, SystemPages, DisablePagingExecutive) but they DID NO DIFFERENCE in my case at all!
This thing is driving me crazy! I tested the new memory modules but they are absolutely functional, so it is not a hardware problem.
I dont know what else to do! Any ideas? Please help if you know what else I could try...
My system specs:
2GB RDRAM Kingston + Samsung PC800 (4x512MB)
Asus P4T533C (Intel 850E chipset)
P4 2.4GHz 533FSB
Windows XP (no SP1)
Thank you very much in advance for your kind help! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Strange. 36% at 390MB seems right though as it indicates that Giga has decided 99% to be just over 1GB. I definitely believe you should be able to tweak that machine to do what you want. Did you only try my original suggested values or did you go through the entire thread on the VSL forum? There are a number of recipes that worked for other users using 2GB in there.
I ve tried the following: 8000000/80, 4000000/40 with the non-paged ones set either to 0 or to the same values as the paged ones. What annoys me is that I see no difference! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] No better, no worse! Just as if there is something else more important before these registry strings that prevents them from working...
Furthermore, I cannot understand why the new figure (390MB) is smaller than the previous one (540MB) and not the same at least!...
BTW, the original VSL thread is a bit difficult to read (10 pages) and get all the different registry values proposed there. I would suggest that either you, or someone else, creates a \"summary thread\" containing the explication of the different registry values and all the different solutions. I ll give the thread another look to see if I have missed anything.
Is there anyobody with similar specs to my system that is or doesnt experience the same problems?
First of all, thanks a lot Mattias for taking the time and making the effort to help me (and many others before me)! I appreciate it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I ve got some NEWS! However, I am still in the process of investigating.
Ok, first of all I tried ALL (one after the other) the registry tweaks suggested in the original VSL thread (about 18 different ones).
The results were stubbornly the same:
a) 36% 397MB
b) 42% 463MB
Another thing to say is that there was NO logic/pattern to the results. No matter what the settings were, I ended with either 397MB (which is the result I am having without the tweaks anyway) or 463MB (slightly improved but still...). Furthermore, I got a lot of times the following errors:
a) blue screens (process has locked pages)
b) Connexant WaveStream Message Server has encountered a problem etc
c) Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
The worst was when I tried a value of 1 for all 4 values! It even made my soundcard (Creamware Pulsar 2) not to work (hardware cannot be setup properly, Installation error: kernel file puls2osl.21k not found or invalid) and programs not to open!!!
All that made me very disappointed! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But, then I thought that maybe there is something else going on. I had a look at the services running in the background... Especially to the ones initiated by me:
a) sfp.exe (this is the OS of the Creamware card, without it the card doesnt function properly)
b) the DiskKeeper service (cant remember now its proper name)
c) InCD service (for CD-RW, part of Nero)
d) the Norton Ghost service
I decided to make b,c and d not to start automatically when Windows starts (the corresponding programs do not function without these services). Then, I returned all the registry values to their original values (0,0,0,0) and loaded samples in Gigastudio. The result is:
!!! 68% 750MB !!!!
Conclusion, one of these three services was the culprit of my problems.
The things I am going to do now are the following:
a) enable all three services one by one, until I find which one was the sole culprit
b) try again the registry tweaks of Mattias and see what happens.
It\'s me again! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Ahead InCD (version 18.104.22.168) was definately the cause of the problem I was experiencing. So, stay away from InCD if you are using Gigastudio on the same machine.
Now, I ve tried the 4000000/40 tweak and I managed a load of 95% - 1049MB. The only problem is that I get blue screens all the time! I didnt try to see if this happens ONLY when I max out the load and get the Error Code 5. I will check it out. I am going as well to try different registry values and see if I can get to 99% -1100MB...
I ll keep you posted. For the time being just stay away from InCD (version 22.214.171.124).