• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT: Downloadable sounds Petition

Share/Bookmark

OT: Downloadable sounds Petition

Hi All,

I\'m amazed of the number and quality of sample libraries available at the moment. I\'d like to start a petition post in order to try to convince sample developers to create downloadable versions of their libraries.

My convincements are:

1) A LOT OF CUSTOMERS have broadband connections all around the world

2) INTERNATIONAL RATES AND TIMES for shipping are even too high

3) DUTIES: some locations (I.e. mine) apply outrageous duties fees on packages as sample libraries (Last time ordered I\'ve paid 95$ more on 250$order). Also duties offices has to contact you before release the package, so 3/4 days become 10days.

4) NO ADDITIONAL SHARING DANGER: if people wants to share they can with or without downloadable versions. In my opinion sharing will decrease with more flexible purchasing options.

5) TRYOUT EFFECT: try a sound, like it, and order more instead of being really sure to order a complete CD Package (not really convinced by demos? no order).

6) WEB SPACE COST DECREASED: today web space is really available at low costs

Mine is only a wish, obviously, but I\'m curious to see how many NS members agree with that hope.

This is a simple list of libraries I surely had already purchased, with downoadable option:

- Westgate woodwinds
    - Dan dean Solo and ensemble brass
    - Kirk hunter Solo strings and woodwinds
    - Some VR sounds
    - QL Brass
    - Garritan Gigaharp
    - DIVA

..and many others.

Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Luca

Re: OT: Downloadable sounds Petition

At first: Who have the time or Connection to download Libraries like VSL or EWQLSO Platinum via net!!?? Platinum is 68GB and VSL surely more...

I like nice Box, Printed manual, original DVDs...no I really don´t think this is good thing. (maybe if price will be 70%...)

[ QUOTE ]
    At first: Who have the time or Connection to download Libraries like VSL or EWQLSO Platinum via net!!?? Platinum is 68GB and VSL surely more...

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, as far as I can tell none of the libraries you mentioned are suggested by Lux.

Second, it goes pretty much without saying (i.e. it\'s common sense) that the largest libraries would not benefit from this option, at least not at the present stage of internet technology available to most people.

[ QUOTE ]

I like nice Box, Printed manual, original DVDs...no I really don´t think this is good thing. (maybe if price will be 70%...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, boxes are often larger than they actually need to be, mainly because they are intended for display in shops etc. This adds unnecessary bulk to the product. You can easily (and often more efficiently) store your product in some other way. The function does not suffer.

Second, manuals can be just as easily read from the screen or when printed out on a printer (which most people nowadays have access to, one way or the other). Again, the function does not suffer.

Third, original DVD\'s are not necessary either...in fact, being able to choose your own final storage platform/media method gives you more options. Once more, the function does not suffer.

Fourth, downloadable versions of the products would cut the producers costs (no boxes, no paper manuals, no DVD\'s, no shipping handling etc) which in turn would make it possible for them to cut the prices to customers. And that\'s not counting the non-existant shipping costs, which for some international customers in effect can add around 50% (sometimes more) to the original price once handling fees, local taxes and custom fees are added.

Finally, but not least...consider the negative environmental effects of printed manuals and paper boxes (trees), pressed DVD\'s (manufacturing pollution and resources use) and long transportations (pollution, energy consumption) that can be much reduced or in some cases eliminated alltogether, by the use of downloadable software and manuals.

Of course all this is provided the software in question is of a practical downloadable size, but as the connection speeds increase (and are made available to more and more people)...so will the boundries of what is considered \"practical downloadable size\" as well.

I think the arguments pretty much speak for themselves. Downloadable software is a win-win situation (for producers, customers and the environment)...and the only thing that amazes me is that this method isn\'t more widely used than it is today...it is clearly the way of the future.

Cheers

Rodney

It won´t work , forget about [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO you miss the point : it\'s not really vital to buy the whole Platinum set, or VSL at once.
    You might buy a section or a family at a time (1st violins, violas, brass....).
    Look at Sonic Implants, or WizooSounds, they already do this, at least for some libraries. I think the extra work to categorize and split the bundles would be compensated for, by the benefits.
    I recently bought 2 big electric basses from Wizoosounds, above 400 Mb each, and it took me less than 30mn to download them, and I could do other things on my PC meanwhile.
    Yesterday, I bought RealGuitar from MusicLab, 180Mb, less than 5 minutes !!!
    As for the developers, I second what was said above : absolutely no danger added IMO : if I\'m the bad guy, I will copy and sell samples, be it from a cd/dvd, or from the Net.
    If I\'m okay (and I am !) I keep what I buy for myself, and believe me, I already bought many things via donwload.
    As for the producers, I think that the increased sales would be a nice surprise : people who cannot wait, people who come by and are tempted by a demo, even if the purchase is not absolutely necessary, people who are tempted but also draw back because of S & H costs/prohibitive customs taxes....
    As for the speed, I\'m sure that very soon now, 56k modems will really be a thing of the past for everybody.
    So it would be great on both sides.

Hi,

I like the idea of downloadable sounds as well for smaller libraries. However, saying that there is no extra cost is not necessarily true. First, you need space on a server to store these. Then, you need some sort of programming in order to come up with a secure method of having one specific user download. To come up with schemes such as these, it costs money. So, the delivery method may change but there are other costs (that weren\'t there before) which come into play.

I don\'t think that we\'ll ever see this implemented in this way in the near future, especially now that pretty much all of the new libraries are huge. Even the bandwidth required to host them would cost a lot of $$$ IMHO.

Nothing wrong with trying to come up with ideas on alternate delivery methods. I have to admit though that delivery has never really been a problem for me. If I order from Soundsonline or Ilio, I get the library within 2 business days. That\'s good enough for me. If I needed it yesterday to complete a project, I would call and I\'m sure that they could arrange an even quicker delivery if needed as both companies have great support. I\'ve been happy with delivery from other small companies also.

FV

By the way , what is the difference between piracy and this idea???

From where you downloaded the samples???

Lots of people download the samples and use them for a while before make their decision purchase , and this is one of the things developers are trying to avoid!!!

I think it is a GREAT idea!!! I hate boxes, wasteful packaging, wasted fuel and energy to deliver said packages. paper manuals, (that often need up-grading anyway). I prefer the anti pack-rat approach to living. I toss that crap out as soon as possible, anyway. Time to move into the 21st century.

Sure, some downloads will be long. But there is compression technology to ease the burden. At least some libraries could be delivered this way. And if it saves money for the developer, (passed on to the consumer??) only good things can come of it. If you need to back-up the files on a DVD or 2, that\'s on you.

Handz,
    yes, but my idea is related to libraries not so huge as ewql platinum or Vsl Pro. Many producers have great sounds in smaller sizes.

[ QUOTE ]
    By the way , what is the difference between piracy and this idea???

From where you downloaded the samples???

Lots of people download the samples and use them for a while before make their decision purchase , and this is one of the things developers are trying to avoid!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Leo,
    maybe my english is not as well. I DON\'T own nor have in any way the libraries listed. I WISH I had purchased them in downloadable way.
    My list was to say \"if they were downloadable\" I had purchased yet.

Hope this clarify your doubts
    Luca

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast