• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Regular pops & clicks from GigaStudio

Share/Bookmark

Regular pops & clicks from GigaStudio

GigaStudio96 2.2 is emitting a click or loud pop at about every thirty seconds. It does not come from the computer or audio system or mixer, all of which plays flawlessly as long as GigaStudio is not running. Which means the balanced cables are not picking up anything either. It\'s GigaStudio!
    The pops-clicks occur whenever GigaStudio is open, whether playing or recording an instrument or simply idling. Some pops drive the digital level meter into the red--totally unacceptable.

I\'m using a new giga-dedicated PC, very clean, built to specifications and optimized per Tascam recommendations. I\'ve tried everything I can think of.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks. --Avar

Re: Regular pops & clicks from GigaStudio

Have you tried lowering your video acceleration and/or updating video drivers? That fixed it for me. - Doug

Thanks for the reminder, Doug. Yes, I set video acceleration (latest drivers) to 25% but now I think I will turn it off and see what that does. Encouraged to hear it worked for you!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Marshall:
    Have you tried lowering your video acceleration and/or updating video drivers? That fixed it for me. - Doug<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have set video acceleration to zero and also set VCACHE=0.

There is still an occasional loud pop from the left channel.

I think the clicks have diminished, but the pop is awful. I\'ve been over the recomended customizations several times and I\'m really puzzeled. I believe the rest of you have GS running without mysterious pops and clicks, right?

I wonder why just the left channel? Remember this is only GS, other software does not have this problem. Is it always PC/Windows-related or is there some setting in GS that I should change?

It\'s been a bumpy shakedown cruise and I do appreciate it when anyone has time to suggest a fix.

Avar

good luck trying to resolve the pop click problem.
    I am one of the many people here that have not been able to stop pops and clicks and have just had to live with it.
    I have spent countless hours trying to resolve the problem with not luck.
    Even Donnie with his highend SoundChaser giga 1.2 athlon has problems with ocasional pops and clicks .
    When I checked with Soundchasers they wanted $4,800 for that computer.
    So at this point I am very disapointed that I paid $700 for giga sampler then $149 for the giga studio upgrade, and I can\'t even get it to work without pops and clicks .I feel that this is Giga studio\'s biggest weakness .
    I am waiting for either Tascam to addresses this issue or to find a computer speed and config that is pop and click free.

If the occasional pop that you get happens in other audio programmes or even when you have no programmes running at all, then your problem could be electrical.

I get a pop every time the fridge turns itself on or off.

This can be fixed with a mains filter or even better get your studio on another ring main to the rest of your house. But do not include your lighting or heating in this ring main!

Many people are not aware of this noise reducing tactic

Paul

The pop and click problem has been addressed in the forum previously. Might want to search for the threads. If your problem is the same as mine, there is a solution -- it\'s not pretty but it works.

First, the pops start when more than about 50 percent memory is used by GS, as indicated on the front panel. If your problem is unrelated to memory usage, it is different and this workaround does not apply.

1. load the performance into GS that is causing pops. Should be over 50 percent memory usage. Play a few sounds to verify that it is operating.

2. manually remove instruments from the performance until about 5 percent memory usage is indicated. (May have to experiment -- 3 percent may be better). Play some sounds again.

3. load a new grouping of instruments from some other performance. Make it a small one with 10 percent memory usage. BE SURE THAT YOU SAY NO TO THE SAVE QUESTION WINDOW OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR FIRST PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE.

4. play a few sounds from the second performance.

5. reload the original large performance. ONCE AGAIN DON\'T SAVE.

This time there should be no pops or clicks. It works for me. I just finished a piece with 84 percent memory (out of 768Mb) and 105 instruments. I worked with it popping away until I was ready to record, then I performed the procedure above. Amazing.

clueless

This is a good point. Indeed, when I first set up my studio,I made sure of clean electrical power.

However, my digital audio studio is absolutely quiet. With the Giga-dedicated PC running or playing music through MediaPlayer there are no pops.

It is only when GigaStudio96 2.2 is running that I hear a pop about every 60 seconds --it sounds like just the left channel although the meters show the hot spike on both channels.

I\'m now wondering if there is some process or task interrupting GS. Nothing I can find, but maybe hidden in the PC bowels?

Avar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr.Stroud:
    If the occasional pop that you get happens in other audio programmes or even when you have no programmes running at all, then your problem could be electrical.

I get a pop every time the fridge turns itself on or off.

This can be fixed with a mains filter or even better get your studio on another ring main to the rest of your house. But do not include your lighting or heating in this ring main!

Many people are not aware of this noise reducing tactic

Paul
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a remarkable workaround. Thanks very much for the information.

I\'m using just a single instrument on a PC of 512 Mb RAM, with minimal RAM usage. But I will try this procedures

What you describe sounds like a memory management issue for Tascam programmers. So this might be an explanation.

Thanks very much!

Avar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clueless:
    The pop and click problem has been addressed in the forum previously. Might want to search for the threads. If your problem is the same as mine, there is a solution -- it\'s not pretty but it works.

First, the pops start when more than about 50 percent memory is used by GS, as indicated on the front panel. If your problem is unrelated to memory usage, it is different and this workaround does not apply.

1. load the performance into GS that is causing pops. Should be over 50 percent memory usage. Play a few sounds to verify that it is operating.

2. manually remove instruments from the performance until about 5 percent memory usage is indicated. (May have to experiment -- 3 percent may be better). Play some sounds again.

3. load a new grouping of instruments from some other performance. Make it a small one with 10 percent memory usage. BE SURE THAT YOU SAY NO TO THE SAVE QUESTION WINDOW OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR FIRST PERFORMANCE PERFORMANCE.

4. play a few sounds from the second performance.

5. reload the original large performance. ONCE AGAIN DON\'T SAVE.

This time there should be no pops or clicks. It works for me. I just finished a piece with 84 percent memory (out of 768Mb) and 105 instruments. I worked with it popping away until I was ready to record, then I performed the procedure above. Amazing.

clueless
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my situation ,it is only giga studio that has pops and clicks , cakewalk works fine.
    It not a electrical prob for me because it would do it on all programs ,not to mention I have my studio on a seperate circuitand eveything is well grounded abd there are no ground loop probs.
    Ive tried the fix mentioned on this form[the one thats not pretty] but mine prob is not a memory problem , I even get pops and clicks with low memory and polyphony.
    I borrowed my friends 1 giga of ram and put it in my computer but it didn\'t help.
    I actually came upwith a fix that reduces the prob,from countless hours of experimenting[do a search on my name and you can find it ],anyway it reduces the frequency of pops but does not completely solve the prob.

Go Back to forum