• Register
  • Help

Topic: Possible Antitrust suit against composers

Share/Bookmark

Possible Antitrust suit against composers

Hello my fellow composers,

It has come to my attention that the US government is contemplating an antitrust lawsuit against composer (TV, Film, Multimedia and theatre). This is brought about by a problem that has afflicted our industry for way too long. It appears that we (the composers) have been engaging in the unfair and unlawful practice of price gauging. It is true that we hold a monopoly on the entertainment industries, and being in such a position, our rates can reach frightening (and artificially) high levels. The general common practice for the majority of us composers is to overbid everything. That is why we, the composers, are proliferating, while competitive industries like the music libraries are simply not able to make ends meet.

It is with a strong sense of concern and in an effort to appease the entertainment conglometrates (and avoid government prosecution) that I urge all of you within the reach of this message to lower your rates. I know...I know, the lease on my Carrera and my beach condo in Cape Cod are not going to like this one bit, but things need to change. For too many years we have been overcharging naive and gullible producers and directors. For too many years we have been taking advantage of our obvious industry advantage to leverage our income to embarrassingly high levels. I now implore you to lower your prices before it\'s too late! Many newly out of school composers are some of the worst culprits, price gauging like there\'s no tomorrow. We must stop and educate them. The sins of the fathers (us) can not and will not be perpetuated by the next generation of talent.

Please, stop the madness, lower your prices and work harder. The world is changed and the fun ride ends here.

Lower your prices before it\'s too late!!!

PS.

On a related not, isn\'t it about time to stop this whole Performance Rights scam as well? Aren\'t we filthy rich enough? Say no to ASCAP, BMI and Sesac, stop the madness!!!

andyt

Re: Possible Antitrust suit against composers

Very funny ... is there a true story behind this piece of satire ?

Yowza... good one. theonion.com reporting?

[ QUOTE ]

Please, stop the madness, lower your prices and work harder.

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL...

Man, you had me going. I started to fume about 1/3rd of the way through your post.

I am the most gullible person alive. Sorry if that\'s spelled incorrectly. I tried to look it up in the dictionary but, remember, they removed it.

Yeah, we greedy composers simply ask for too much. Thank god there are good people that create napster and kazaa to punish us......

Thank you for this important information. I, for one, feel it incumbant on myself to offer my composer services for free for any and all future projects, although I will still ask for reimbursement for my gasoline expenses, as the prices are so high these days. Should our honorable president be successful in his world domination efforts in the middle east and gas prices decrease, I will of course remove that from my contracts. My wife, also moved by this heretofore unknown situation, has offered to return to the workforce, remove our children from private school and place them into our wonderful public school system, and reduce our daily meals from seven to three. The best thing about this is that all of our tax returns will be so much easier to do!
    C\'mon everyone, it\'s good karma!

Go Back to forum