• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO re-activation ?

GPO re-activation ?

It just happened that my win xp box has gone completly mad for 2 days (reboot, BSOD, etc ...), and I think I\'ll be doing a fresh install of the system shortly (a fresh install can\'t do bad after more than a year of heavy duty).

My question is : can I backup GPO activation key ? I was under the impression that the key was calculated from a system ID that might change when I format & reinstall xp.

Maybe there is another possibility with NI directly ?

Thanks for lightening me up !

Re: GPO re-activation ?

Hello Jean,
    I just went through a similar ordeal with my laptop. I believe that you would be able to use the same activation key, however, after fixing my laptop and re-installing everything *sigh* the system ID had indeed changed, since I actually had to switch out hardware, which you may or may not have to do.

GPO allows for 2 activated players and I also have an instance running on my desktop, so I feared the worst [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. However, when I went to register my GPO player, I found that NI allows you to de-activate a system, which I did and consequently I could activate my newly installed laptop...

Good luck,

Piano man - does the NI Kontakt de-activation process mean that the computer which you wish to de-activate has to be working to give you a de-activation code? I ask this because I bought a DriveCrypt license which uses hardware ID to generate a code a couple of years ago. They supply a new code if you want to install it on a new PC, as long as you can give them a \'de-activation code\' which de-activates the software on the old PC. Problem - old PC was non-working and not-fixable - result - no way of supplying them a de-activation code, so no way of getting a new activation code and no way of using the software anymore.

LOW, no, to deactivate a comp the comp does not still have to be alive... you are de-authorizing it in their records and they are allowing you to authorize a new hardware set-up or new comp...

Thanks for your response dennis ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum