• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Viking Saga section 3 & English Horn question

Share/Bookmark

Viking Saga section 3 & English Horn question

Here\'s the next section of the ongoing Viking Saga that I\'m (very slowly) working on. The new part starts at about 2:30 at the big trombone blare. This has taken some turns that I haven\'t expected, but I\'m really enjoying the voyage! I know how I want the whole piece to end, but I\'m not sure yet how to get from the ending of this segment to that, so it should be an interesting journey. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Some parts of this whole thing need to be polished, but I\'m more about finishing the draft and then editing, as opposed to trying to get every little thing really polished as I go along the first time.

But right now I\'m wondering about the English Horn part in the last part of this. Can an English Horn play notes that long and fluid? It seems more likely to be a flute or oboe part, but I really love the tone of that English Horn. And at the section at 3:08 I have the Engligh Horn playing chords, but presumably that could be a few horns each taking a single note, eh? Or can chords like that be played on an English Horn? I know that the polyphony is turned off on certain instruments where only one note can be played at a time, and that\'s not the case with that, so... ?? And why is it that every time I type \"English\", I keep typing \"Engligh\" initially?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Shaz

Re: Viking Saga section 3 & English Horn question

As far as the Eng Hn playing passages that long and fluid, the answer is an unequivocal \"yes!\" In fact, Eng Hn solo passages are rare compared to its cousin\'s (the oboe) list of solos. Something like this a professional Eng Hn player would love!

Now, that being said, I would strongly advise you to not get into the habit of writing for more than one Eng Hn in an orchestral setting. Most orchestras are lucky if they have even one Eng Hn, and most works do not call for more than one. Of course, in a studio setting, you can orchestrate any way you wish.

If you want the sound you have currently, you could try two oboes with an Eng Hn. Of course, personally I would have the Eng Hn play the top of the chord, and orchestrate the rest with either French Horn or maybe even Trombone & Trumpet to add color. Those percussive chords seem like they shold stand out, and right now that kinda blend in.

These are only my opinions. Hope it gave you something to think about.

Well... The Saga continues! First, excellent work! Second, circle breathing man! Just chalk it up to circle breathing technique! As for the cords, I really can\'t say but they sure sound nice. Then again I am not to keen on conformity. I did pretty much the same with the oboe and was reminded of breath markings.
    My ear says leave it. I like just as is.
    Nice work. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sounds good.

A lot of your first paragraph sounds like how I feel on the project I\'m working on - I\'ve gone in a totally different direction than I had intended. I\'m also recording for the composition istead of for a polished performance.

Looking at my last line, on a casual listen through your piece I didn\'t hear any problems with the performance.

Shaz,

Thanks for the continuing voyages. This Viking fest just keeps getting better and better. The use of the wind machine does it for me every time - conjures up images of being on the high seas before the plundering.

I liked what you did with the Engligh Horn (i mean English Horn). It may help to close your eyes and pretend you\'re playing the piece on the English Horn and imagine where you would pause and breathe and where you would crescendo and soar. Become one with the English Horn Grasshopper! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Great job. In a way I hope the journey doesn\'t end.

Gary Garritan

Very good use of the glass harmonica as well.

Shazbot,
    Very nice English horn solo! It was the nostalgia before the storm. Being an English horn player--on occasion--I can say that it is very playable, however it is a single note instrument, so you\'ll have to get a second player on those chords. Another option is to bring a clarinet or oboe to fill out the harmony. I\'m excited for the looting and pillaging to begin!

I should have realized that an English Horn is essentially an oboe, which is what it sounds like (though brighter sounding). But the name \"horn\" threw me off and made me wonder if this kind of phrasing was really possible.

As for the chords, I\'ll try it with the English Horn playing just the top notes and see how that works. The strings underneath play essentially the same chords, so maybe the other notes won\'t be missed.

[ QUOTE ]
    I liked what you did with the Engligh Horn (i mean English Horn). It may help to close your eyes and pretend you\'re playing the piece on the English Horn and imagine where you would pause and breathe and where you would crescendo and soar. Become one with the English Horn Grasshopper!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I will! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] And that\'s the kind of thing I\'m referring to when I say I\'ll need to go back and do more tweaking once the basic piece is all together (and I don\'t want it to end, either, but then again, I\'ve got several other germs of ideas for pieces that I\'d like to start working on, so...). GPO has some really nice tools for expressiveness and nuances, and I\'ll have to use them on various parts to make everything sing a little better. I\'ve only done very general things in that regard as I\'ve gone along (and learned about them while doing it), as I have limited to time to work with this and want to get the music out first before really polishing anything. But that, and some minor phrasing and timing issues will need some attention.

Thanks for the responses!
    Shaz

Shaz!
    Horn schmorn! This is a great piece and whatever you use it will sound just as wonderful. Besides, how do you know the English horn wants to be on top?

Now, if you believe me... wanna buy a bridge? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

\"I\'ve got several other germs of ideas for pieces that I\'d like to start working on, so...). \"
    GERMS! Tell those Vikings to wash once in a while and you wont have this problem. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    GPO has some really nice tools for expressiveness and nuances

[/ QUOTE ]

SOME??

Okay, I may be a bit GPO biased, but it has more than \"some\" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The viking saga rages on! Well done man. Overlay horns and timpani mmm [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Junk

Go Back to forum