• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Question: TCM---YFCC???

Share/Bookmark

Question: TCM---YFCC???

\"the five finalists chosen in May will compete for a $10,000 grand prize to score a classic restored silent film with mentoring by veteran film composer Elmer Bernstein as well as other musical equipment prizes from The Guitar Center. \"

So does that mean the have the \"option\" to replace you? seriously...

I\'ve never thought of entering I\'m just curious. BTW.. anyone here \"place\" in this competition, what\'d you get?

KID-

Re: Question: TCM---YFCC???

I\'m pretty sure Houston submitted something as there was a post about it not long ago.

I know alot of people submit for that ...

From Tim Smith, of Westgate Woodwinds, gigastudio page :

http://www.swgames.com/timzydee/

TCM Young Film Composers Competition: First Prize : 2002

Heh, I entered. But, I\'m not one of the finalists, and I wasn\'t expecting to be. It\'s here if you want to see it. The quality of the sound and video is horrible, but it\'s the only way I could upload it.

Personally, the final entries from last year were boring and unoriginal. Thank God that they didn\'t see that in my score.

TCM has a different policy this year from the last competition (If I am not mistaken). They ask you what your experiance/education/musical backround is BEFORE you enter your music.

Don\'t you just love those pre-biased entries? .. wow, there\'s last year\'s winner Linda Martinez on stage again with Destiny\'s Child! I\'m *totally* watching this....

- Jeffrey

[ QUOTE ]
    Personally, the final entries from last year were boring and unoriginal. Thank God that they didn\'t see that in my score.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word up on that! I was pissed when I wasn\'t selected - must\'ve hated my theremin [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] -- but when I heard what they selected as finalists, I just laughed. Whatever they were looking for, I\'m *glad* I didn\'t have it. I enjoyed scoring the cue that I submitted this year, but I\'m not holding my breath on this one.

[ QUOTE ]
    TCM has a different policy this year from the last competition (If I am not mistaken). They ask you what your experiance/education/musical backround is BEFORE you enter your music.

Don\'t you just love those pre-biased entries? .. wow, there\'s last year\'s winner Linda Martinez on stage again with Destiny\'s Child! I\'m *totally* watching this....

- Jeffrey

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the 5 minute teaser they did with her and it looked pretty good. The bits of music I was hearing was a much better quality than the entry she won with, so it sounded to me like she grew significantly while scoring the silent film.

My question is, what have the past winners gone on to do? I had someone ask me that and was at a loss for an answer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] If Linda Martinez can gain traction and keep going, then there\'s hope for this contest. Since scoring for silent film is so different than producing underscore for a film with dialog, effects, and foley - I can imagine that having this on your resume is not necessarily the \"help\" that scoring a modern feature would be...

BTW, they were supposed to name the semi-finalists on the 20th, and not a word so far. Hmmm...

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey is there anywhere where I could check out past winners submissions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out : http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com and search for YFCC

Oh, come on. Some of those entries were damn impressive, and you know it!

I can\'t wait to see the entries for this last contest.

\"The bits of music I was hearing was a much better quality than the entry she won with, so it sounded to me like she grew significantly while scoring the silent film.\"

- Or did Mr. Berstein flip his own nickel into the coin pot? I\'m not here to speculate on Linda, per se, but I am here to point fingers at the judges. This contest is an opportunity for unknown composers to have a chance at a real gig. Atleast, that\'s what the television ads told me. But as we all know, television lies, and strings are always attached (no pun intended).

The question now is, if I could go back with the same score, but with Destiny\'s Child on my resume, would I then get in? ah well..atleast my favorite software developers (garritan,bardstown) liked it. . .

how about some warm brownies, guys ? !?

- Jeffrey [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I just got this via email:

[ QUOTE ]
    NEWS FROM FILM MUSIC
    April 21, 2004
    =================================

FIFTH ANNUAL TCM YOUNG FILM COMPOSERS COMPETITION
    SEMI-FINALISTS ANNOUNCED

Turner Classic Movies along with sponsors Film Music Magazine, Todd-AO and The Guitar Center are pleased to announce the following composers who were chosen as semi-finalists in the Fifth Annual TCM Young Film Composers Competition.

The composers were chosen from over 550 entries to the competition this year by a blue ribbon committee of judges including DON B. RAY (\"Hawaii 5-0,\" \"Gilligan\'s Island\"), MARK WATTERS (\"Doug\'s 1st Movie,\" Music for the Olympics), CHRISTOPHER LENNERTZ (\"Medal of Honor: Rising Sun,\" \"House of the Damned\") and 1st Annual YFCC grand prize winner VIVEK MADDALA (\"Equation,\" \"The Mysterious Lady\").

The semi-finalists now move to the finalist selection which will occur on May 7. In July, the five finalists chosen in May will compete for a $10,000 grand prize to score a classic restored silent film with mentoring by veteran film composer Elmer Bernstein as well as other musical equipment prizes from The Guitar Center.

FIFTH ANNUAL TCM YOUNG FILM COMPOSERS COMPETITION
    SEMI FINALISTS (in alphabetical order)
    ======================================

JULIAN BOND - New York, NY

JASON DOWNER - Prescott, AZ

MAT EISENSTEIN - New York, NY

JAMIE HALL - Bellevue, WA

MATT HEIDER - Salt Lake City, UT

MATTHEW KAJCIENSKI - New York, NY

MICHAEL PICTON - Brooklyn, NY

MARCUS SJOWALL - Los Angeles, CA

CODY WESTHEIMER - Los Angeles, CA

ALEX WURMBRAND - Palos Verdes, CA

For more information about the competition, contact Mark Northam at (310) 575-1820 or email mark@filmmusicworld.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Congratulations and good luck to the semi-finalists.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast