• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase SE is it worth it?

Share/Bookmark

Cubase SE is it worth it?

I\'m using the included Cubasis at the moment because I\'m just a poor southern boy. Anyway, the SE version of Cubase was just released and I\'m thinking about investing in it for the future. Is it worth it?

Re: Cubase SE is it worth it?

Definitely yes. In comparison to Cubasis you get pure luxury. I hardly miss anything.....

SE will be a huge step up \"Joseph\", but I would strongly recommend you look at SL, its pretty much the same as SX only missing the surround features... and unless you plan on doing some DVD-A in the near future, you won\'t miss them...

Weeellll... I\'d love to get SL, but I can\'t justify 300 bucks (although, I\'d love to see what improvements the VST 2 engine brings.) Can anyone give me an idea of what advantages there are with SE over Cubasis VST. I can see the graphical changes, but I\'m sure there is more to it than that. I mean, I\'m fairly satisfied with VST, but I feel the extra instruments (16 as opposed to 4) and send effects available to me will be worth the cost of admission.

Joseph,

The main advantage with SE or SL is that you get the ability to load more instances and insert more effects. SE may be all you need for now and I believe the cost is very reasonable.

Gary Garritan

Yep it is just the price and what you get for it. If I remember right there is even an upgrade path from Cubasis to Cubase SE. So don\'t beat me...but I think for 79 bucks you may play along.

SE has in comparison to Cubasis MUCH more audio possibilities
    A more smooth workflow in the trackview
    Midi effects:arpeggiator etc
    A more detailed tempotrack (very important for classix)

To be honest...most of the advantages are in the audio sector. So if you want to make pure midi...you can work with Cubasis without problems. But I would say that nowaday you can\'t seperate that anymore.....

Edit: looked at steiny\'s. definitely right. 79 bucks for you.

Careful! There are more differences between SX and SL than the surround functionality!

I\'ev been working on Cubase SX2 at a friend\'s place for a while and recently saved up enough money to get Cubase SL. The guy in the store told me that SX and SL are completely identical except for the notation functions (which by the way suck, but I have Sibelius for that). So I bought the thing, installed it, tried to load one of my GPO pieces and immediately encountered a ton of problems:

) The Equalizer \"Q\" of which I use about 8 instances per piece isn\'t included in SL.
    ) The mixer (which is great in SX2) is much simpler in SL! They took out the most basic (and timesaving) functionality for SL! For example you can NOT view the send or insert effects of all channels at the same time, like in SX. This means that you have to do 5-15 extra mouse clicks PER TRACK to adjust your sends/inserts. This is inacceptable and extremely cumbersome.
    ) There were numerous other problems which I won\'t mention here.

So I was quite furious and went back to the shop, returned the piece of crap that SL is in my humble opinion and churned out some more money to buy the full SX2. Haven\'t regretted the decision yet.

Well, that\'s interesting. Unfortunately, I don\'t have the money for SX or SL. So based on your opinion SE itsn\'t worth getting out of my chair for? Looks like I may stick with Cubasis for now until something better comes along (or I hit the lotto.) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Joseph,

Contact me privately and maybe I can help you out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum