• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie asks, what gear?

Newbie asks, what gear?

Hello all,
    Unfortunately on a budget, I am interested in getting the best string ensemble, and solo strings possible; ditto brass ensemble and less likely ( lack of $$) solo brass; and ditto woodwind ensemble, and hopefully ($) solo.
    I was thinking of \"Vienna\" solo strings, entered one track at a time, to create my string ensembles!! My thinking is, I don\'t think I can afford BOTH the ensemble strings AND the Solo Strings. Their brass and woodwind ensemble CD\'s might be affordable, though.
    I was thinking JUST the Vienna Solo Strings plus the Woodwind and Brass, for a total of around $ 1500- 1700.

How does Garritan compare? Should I assume The \"Vienna\" is all I need?
    I probably cannot afford the updated Vienna pro series, thus the 1st edition though I DO want the best sound. I know, contradictory. I seek various opinions from this fine assortment of minds. If someone would like to have a go at talking me into the more expensive alternative, please do so.

Do I need to consider a superior midi device, a blowing midi device, versus the midi keyboard? I am willing to take as long as it takes to \"get it right\" ; one track/part at a time, just the way it happens in a real orchestra.

Is \"Giga\" the way to go?
    2 pc\'s, versus one more powerful one?

The style of music will be orchestral (19th - 20th century) in nature, not usually pop, etc. Ravel, Strauss, etc.
    This venture is being seriously considered purely on the basis of love of this music, not for profit/studio etc.

Any and all suggestions welcomed and greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for listening.
    js bach

Re: Newbie asks, what gear?

Hi and welcome to the forum,

you are at the right place for your questions, but they were answered so often that it\'s probably best you use the search option to find the answers. Then post again.
    ...and change your nick, it\'s a tough reference [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think it\'s somewhat indicative of the way this forum is going that JS asks a perfectly good and important question (for newbies) and is advised to just \"do a search\". Hmm... This place is beginning to feel like an archive resource rather than a lively forum for hungry musicians. Pity.

Anyway, JS, my advice is to look at Opus 1. It has a very good set of standard ensemble string samples plus the legato versions which are excellent. You also get a full orchestra into the bargain. You should go to the VSL site and download the amazing Opus 1 demo called \"Over The Horizon\". It remains the best showcase for the library. Obviously, the Pro Ed will give you far more variety, but Opus has most of what you\'d need at a good price.

Sonic Implants string ensembles also sound wonderful from the demos - very rich and intimate. I can imagine that layering the Opus and SI strings would produce stunning results.

For woodwind and brass ensembles, again, Opus 1. It\'s the legato instruments which swing it. Indispensable in my opinion. Project SAM\'s brass are also a vital library for orchestral writers. Although they don\'t have the legato patches of Opus, they\'re still rich, beautiful and alive.

I think all the above libraries would give you a Ravellian sound. I don\'t have the VSL solo strings, but they\'re on my list. I believe VSL are soon to release a chamber string set - 8 vlns, 4 vlas, 2, celli, 1 bass - or something like that. All will have legato patches. Perfect for intimate work.

I don\'t use a wind controller so I can\'t comment. I adjust parameters from within Cubase and it works for me.

Giga the way to go? Well, I\'m switching to GS3 when it comes out. I got fed up with Kontakt - fiddly to work with, and the copy protection thing is a pain in the backside.

How many PCs? I\'m using one powerful PC and I thought I could get away with it but I find I\'m stubbing my toe and running out of memory when it comes to larger arrangements. Bouncing audio is one way around it, but it slows the creative process. I\'m buying another PC. So I\'d say that 2 PCs is the comfortable, safe minimum.

Hope that helps. Good luck with you music.
    Heath Blair

P.S. Actually, it would be a good idea to do a search. I never buy anything without researching it aggresively - afterall, you can\'t get your money back on these things!

Although your idea with layering solo strings is very good it won´t work in practice since you´ll get horrible phasing problems if you don´t use another sample set for each layered solo instrument.

I also highly recommend opus1.

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it\'s somewhat indicative of the way this forum is going that JS asks a perfectly good and important question (for newbies) and is advised to just \"do a search\". Hmm... This place is beginning to feel like an archive resource rather than a lively forum for hungry musicians. Pity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, as it it was the first time such an answer appeared! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] There was *no* answer for quite a while to this topic, and why? Because all of it was discussed over and over again, so I guess some people get tired of typing all the time the same responses.... just relax, a search isn\'t an insult.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Markus, the search engine here doesn\'t work too well at the moment so I thought I\'d help the guy/gal out.

Also, if you can take the time to type out \"do a search\", you can probably take the time to list a few goodies for someone who needs advice. Personally, I\'ve never liked \"do a search\" responses. It feels very dismissive. It\'s almost as bad as \"buy both\". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I didn\'t knew it doesn\'t works at the moment. Personally, I think the search option is a great tool. I\'ve used it a lot and learnd many things this way, there are very interesting topics, even those from serveral months. My suggestion was not \"to offend\" the poster. Btw., I never liked the anwser \"buy both\" neither... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum