• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: how do i get 98 and xp on one machine with 3 hds

Share/Bookmark

how do i get 98 and xp on one machine with 3 hds

im trying to get my breath controller to work so i bought 98 cuz i found out bc\'s dont work with xp home. but i cant seem to get 98 to run on my machine that has xp on it currently...

Re: how do i get 98 and xp on one machine with 3 hds

I think the easiest way (without a format) is to use a windows 98 boot disk, and once you are booted up in dos, delete the windows folder from your C drive. Then you should be able to install the full version (not upgrade) of windows 98. Hope this helps, but I\'d wait to see if anyone else can give you another idea as I have not had to do this yet. Side Note: I don\'t think you are intended to downgrade windows and this is why it is hard to install 98 over XP.

You have to install Windows 98 first and then install Windows XP. Windows 98 will overwrite the MBR, Master Boot Record, and so you won\'t be able to boot to XP.

Another option is to look into a 3rd party boot loader program. I believe one still comes with PowerQuest Partition Magic.

If i install 98 first then install xp will i still be able to use 98? i cant believe im going through all this just to get my breath controller to work. what a pain......

Yes, make sure you choose the dual boot install when installing xp or you\'ll overwrite 98. The computer will give you the option of what OS you want to run when you boot up.

now im having trouble with the fat 32/ ntfs files or whatever there called. i got my gigs and some other stuff on one of my drives that is in ntfs and now 98 wants to to change it causing me to lose all the info i have on it. should i burn all my old files to a disk then reinstall everything later??

I\'ll let someone else answer that. I never formatted my drives to the NTFS format. Best I can tell you is that if there\'s not a program that lets you format without losing data, you won\'t be able to access those files in 98 without backing up the files and reformatting to FAT32. You can complete the install of 98 without formatting those drives though.

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'ll let someone else answer that. I never formatted my drives to the NTFS format. Best I can tell you is that if there\'s not a program that lets you format without losing data, you won\'t be able to access those files in 98 without backing up the files and reformatting to FAT32. You can complete the install of 98 without formatting those drives though.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i understand that, thanks thou.....

now whenever i goto start 98 i get \"insuffcient memory to start windows remove unecessary utilities from auto exec files\" ,anybody familar with this problem?

How much ram is in the computer. It sounds like you have too much. Windows 98 had a ram limit and I think this is the error it gives when there\'s too much (but I don\'t remember, it was a long time ago when I saw it.)

BTW: You must love that breath controller a lot to go through all this junk to use it. Man with all the problems I\'ve had with Windows, I think I\'d just buy another controller. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum