• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hard Drives?

Hard Drives?

Which would be best for running Gigasampler and recording on the same PC:

One 120g SATA partitioned, or Two 60g ATA100\'s non-partitioned?

Thanks for the opinions!

Re: Hard Drives?

I admit that I\'m no expert... but I think, that as long as they are devoted to samples and they are defragged, the difference would be academic... But i\'m sure there is a marginal difference.. and i\'m also sure that people will disagree on what would be best

Definitely 2 separate drives, both set to master on your IDE bus.
    Imagine you have to be able to read and write from one drive the same time, this
    can\'t work well.

ok.. I think I got it...

So you considering two drives, or one drive with everything on? Sequencer and samples on the same? Keep the two seperated for sure

I concur, you definitely want them seperated. The data would all be streamed from the same drive and sent down the same channel. You will definitely get more performance out of 2 or more drives.

There you are again. I was about to say a similar question was on the VSL Giga forum. Looks like two drives wins in the poles. As I mentioned in the other forum, that is my intuition also. Two drives, even if they are a bit slower. A single drive would have to work real hard to keep up with all the tasks. The read and write heads would be all over the place.

Thanks for the feedback!
    I will go with two. I\'m going to upgrade my music PC to get ready for gigasampler 3.

Go Back to forum