• Register
  • Help

Topic: 'Astoria School Theme' my first go with GPO

\'Astoria School Theme\' my first go with GPO

Hello all !

2 days ago, I recieved my copy of GPO (finally).... it sounds even better then I imagined [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Anyway, after auditioning the sounds for a couple of days, I did a mockup of Randy Edelmans \'Astoria School Theme\' (Kindergarten Cop).
    A sweet little tune I really like a lot, perfect for a first try on GPO.

I\'m not totally satisfied with the results... any input is really welcome !
    <font color=\"orange\">
    Astoria School Theme </font>

Re: \'Astoria School Theme\' my first go with GPO

Very Nice Job. Especially for being a first! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was trying to think of some tidbit that I could give you, but you seemed to hit everything with this one. Very Nice. Keep up the excellent work.

I love film music. In fact, I would almost call myself a fanatic about it. So, to hear people do film music with GPO, just makes my heart go flippity-flop! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I think that\'s a very nice effort indeed - much better than I\'m expecting my first go to be!

Take care,

I agree with Johnny, I love film music... just something about it... *ahem

This is wonderful. Such a complacent piece. Well balanced. The end could be faded a bit better, but other than that piddly comment, it came out really well!

Looking forward to hearing more.

- Junk

Great balance, very well executed, especially for a first try! It\'s also fun to see a fellow dutchman starting to enjoy the GPO experience, as I am [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have one subjective tip: try using the shortbows for the violins staccato that starts at 0:24.

Thanks for sharing this piece,

Orcas Island

Thanks you for joining us. You did an excellent job. Great orchestration and balance of instrumentation. It\'s hard to believe you are a new user of GPO.

I wish I could put this on the GPO demo page but copyright issue prevent that (unless we can get the composer\'s okay). Perhaps you can find time to write an original peice. You did so well with this piece and I look forward to hear what you will do when you become even more familiar with the library.

Gary Garritan

Thanks for your kind words people....

Johny/Junk... I\'m also a great lover of filmmusic, that\'s why I wanted to buy an orchestral library in the first place. GPO sounds absolutly amazing to me... but more important... it\'s so easy to use..... I just love it almost as much as filmmusic itself [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Gwydi... I\'m sure you can create something similar.... this wasn\'t hard to do at all.... I\'m really not that good at music, and a total beginner at orchestral stuff... in fact, this was the first thing I did for an orchestra.... GPO is really easy to use and sounds just great.

Pianoman... Wat leuk... nog een nederlander op het forum.... meende er al 1 of 2 meer gezien te hebben.
    (Eng: How nice... another dutchman on this forum... thought I saw 1 or 2 others)
    Do you still live in the Netherlands ?

Garry... thank you for your warm welcome. Your input on this forum and your dedication to your products made me decide to go with GPO instead of some other lib. I will (try to) write original music in the future, but for now I\'ll probably do one or two more mockups because, besides from being absolute fun to do, it\'s a great way to learn all the ins and outs of your great lib.

Now a little on the music itself, I\'m really pleased with the result in itself... GPO just sounded exactly right on this first try... but....

There are two things I don\'t like...

1) The original soundtrack sounds a lot warmer/fuller... probably because there are a lot more instruments used then I could identify (and my knowledge of music isn\'t that good that I could fill these in myself)

2) The strings sound a bit... ehm... pumping at some point, just as if there were a little accent with a minor attack placed over the samples (i don\'t know exactly how to describe it but it sounds a bit like..wWHIiiiiiii...... does that make sense ?). I\'ve tried different velocities, modulation, sustain etc. but couldn\'t get it out.... no big deal, I haven\'t spend a lot of time tweaking, I\'m sure I coul get it out if I did...

Maybe someone has some input on that... otherwise.... thanks for listening [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Hi Ron, GPO is a blast isn\'t it? I am using Digital Performer, and I print the strings to \"audio tracks\" then time shift the different tracks apart from each other, sometimes as much as 30 milliseconds. It won\'t get rid of the individual track\'s \"ramping\", but mushing them together does rid most of it. Just my experience so far.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum