Share/Bookmark

WRITING FOR STRINGS/LMB

WRITING FOR STRINGS/LMB
    http://www.truespec.com/store/books/courses/writingforstrings/index.shtml
    TODAY - $149 - downloadable
    JUNE 1 - $199

Required Text - Revised Rimsky-Korsakov\'s Principles of Orchestration
    http://www.truespec.com/store/books/rimsky/index.shtml

Normally we don\'t do this, but by popular request, we\'re pre-releasing at a lower price our newly revised Writing For Strings/LMB (Living Music Book) online class. With its formal release on June 1, the price will be going up. Register now, and get this 30-lesson class for only $149US. You get: 30 lessons setup as a PDF, MIDI files of all the major examples starting with Lesson 15, conductors score for Jeux de vagues (second movement of Debussy\'s La Mer), MP3 and MIDI File of Jeux de vagues as recorded by British Composer Andy Blaney, Quicktime files demonstrating bowings, MP3s of selected examples.

This class works with any major sample library, especially the Garritan Personal Orchestra.

For the pre-release price: You will be sent a password protected link to the lessons and downloads. As the revised lessons and MIDI files are posted throughout April and May, you\'ll be sent an e-mail to retrieve them. Class Price WILL go up to $199 starting June 1.

Important: This is a DOING CLASS! What you WRITE, you SEQUENCE & RECORD!

NOT INCLUDED BUT COMING: We will shortly be announcing a separate mentoring package for those who\'d like a qualified instructor to review your work, AND FOR A REASONABLE FEE! Two - Three times a year, we are organizing a student string ensemble to record your final 2-minute project. This is a Level 1 class. In September 2004, we release Level 2.

Introduction
    Lesson 1 - Violin Positions
    Lesson 2 - Violas Positions
    Lesson 3 - Cello Positions
    Lesson 4 - Bass Positions
    Lesson 5 – Left Hand Technique – Double Stops
    Lesson 6 – Left Hand Technique – Triple Stops
    Lesson 7 – Left Hand Technique – Quadruple stops
    Lesson 8 - Arpeggios
    Lesson 9 – Left Hand Technique - Trills
    Lesson 10 – Right Hand Technique – Legato, Detache, staccato, marcato, martele, spiccato
    Lesson 11 - Tremolo
    Lesson 12 - Pizzicato
    Lesson 13 – Four Panning Positions
    Lesson 14 - Editing Sequenced Strings
    Lesson 15 -Creating Inner Lines - Technique #1
    Lesson 16 - Creating Inner Lines - Technique #2
    Lesson 17 - Creating Inner Lines - Technique #3
    Lesson 18 - Creating Bass and Cello Lines
    Lesson 19 - Quick Technique for Developing the Melody Line
    Lesson 20 - Creating 2 parts out of 4 - Cellos
    Lesson 21 - Arpeggios - Technique #1
    Lesson 22 - Arpeggios - Technique #2
    Lesson 23 - Creating a Triplet Melodic Line
    Lesson 24 - Creating a Counterpoint Feel by Inserting Rests - Technique #1
    Lesson 25 - Creating a Counterpoint Feel by Inserting Rests - Technique #2
    Lesson 26 - Creating a Counterpoint Feel by Inserting Rests - Technique #3
    Lesson 27 - Creating a Counterpoint Feel by Inserting Rests - Technique #4
    Lesson 28 - Inner Lines and Non-chord tones
    Lesson 29 - Setting Up the Harmony
    Lesson 30 - Recording Pointers

Re: WRITING FOR STRINGS/LMB

Wow. This is nice.
    Thanks.

Peter, how long with this be available? Is this an ongoing thing? I can\'t afford it right now, but I would be interested in the future. I\'m always up for learning something new and this seems to be more my style since I don\'t have time to devote to attending a class personally. I can better prioritize my time when I can schedule it myself. Also, in the future, will there be other courses for other aspects of the orchestra or are you focusing on strings? As to the required text, is that included in the price or a seperate bill?

Yes, this is ongoing. The Rimsky Book, as stated in the copy, is the required text. And yes, we will have woodwinds, brass and full orchestra. Once completed, it will be the most comprehensive orchestration package available. But even if your schedule is tight now, do consider signing up now for the lower price.

Could you explain a little bit more what the course is like? I\'m very interested.

- Junk

What is the expected level of knowledge for somebody starting this course?

G.

It sounds like you are expected to know the basics of music theory.

[ QUOTE ]
    Could you explain a little bit more what the course is like? I\'m very interested.

- Junk

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a self-directed program, the purpose of which is to teach you how to teach yourself. The first 14 lessons are \"data/analysis) based where you review the examples in the Revised Rimsky book, and then sequence and record them. There is practical score reading showing you where/when/how the various techniques are deployed which you analyze, and then put into play by sequencing the examples. You also learn basics of MIDI editing and recording strings using Jeux de vagues.

That\'s the first half.

The second half is writing, writing, writing and deploying what you\'ve learned. This is NOT a theory approach. You must sequence, write and record your work.

[ QUOTE ]
    What is the expected level of knowledge for somebody starting this course?

G.

[/ QUOTE ]

I organized the course so that anyone from songwriters to film composers who can\'t or don\'t read music can get something out of it. That\'s why there are so many MIDI files and selected MP3 examples. Even if you don\'t read all that well, you can load the MIDI files, select the sounds, and analyze in piano roll edit.

The second level course you must be able to read music. But in this course, you can skirt around it. But as with anything, the more you bring to the table, the more you\'ll get out of it.

[ QUOTE ]
    It sounds like you are expected to know the basics of music theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if by ear, if you know enough chords to create your own songs, you can get something out of it. This is a doing approach, not a theoretical one.

Go Back to forum