• Register
  • Help

Topic: Maybe this is a "bug" ...

Share/Bookmark

Maybe this is a \"bug\" ...

I had my first experience yesterday with using a \"Multi\". In putting together my \"Symphonic Trance 2004-1\" (see separate promotional thread) I had started with one of the pipe organ multis and was doodling around with that and a French Horn multi. Little by little, I decided that I didn\'t need (say) voice 4 of the pipe organ to the point where I had morph\'d ALL of the voices out.

I was doing many saves along the way (hard drive space is cheap!) naturally assuming that my changes were being preserved.

Long story short: I finished up the piece and did an Export to audio (working in Cubase SX) and went off to \"publish\" the piece online. Later, I came back and reloaded to latest version of the piece to experiment with some variation on the mix. SURPRISE! The \"Pipe Organ\" instance of GPO (the one which started as a pipe organ and gradually became 7 other voices) was BLANK! All of my careful settings (MIDI channel and which Kontakt mixer positions) GONE!

I don\'t think this is \"reasonable\" behavior -- even in light that I had started with a \"multi\" that contained 8 other voices. If I start with a \"bare\" instance of GPO I can add instruments to that all day long and when I am saving my project the voices are what I set up, right? Isn\'t a \"multi\" just a set of up to 8 associated voices? If I start with a multi and change just ONE voice, do I need to save that with some new name?

Has anyone else run into this and what is the work-around?

(The really annoying thing is that I now need to spend probably a half hour \"reconstituting\" the morph\'d pipe organ instance from a handful of scribbled notes about MIDI channel, mixer positions, etc., to get the right voices connected to the mixer channels -- where, of course, I had made some subtle changes as to panning, effects, etc., for each of the voices -- to get my \"final\" version back to \"final\".)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] kev

Re: Maybe this is a \"bug\" ...

Kevin,

I don\'t know if this is what you mean, but you can also save your multi\'s from within the contactplayer.

btw. while I\'m here.... I really liked Symphonic Trance [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,

Ron

[ QUOTE ]
    .....you can also save your multi\'s from within the contactplayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes please, tell us how to do this in Cubase. I must have missed sth.

In the Kontakt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] player you\'ll find a small disc icon and an inputfield, right next tot the [R] [W] automationbuttons.

Click the disc icon an choose store preset.... that\'s all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,

Ron

What you describe does not work in Cubase.

[ QUOTE ]
    What you describe does not work in Cubase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehm.... it\'s exactly how it works here..... in cubase.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    What version do you use (Mine is SX 2.0) ? Maybe that\'s the problem... otherwise I wouldn\'t know....

Exactly. This is what I\'ve feared. I\'ve tried it in chainer. There it worx. But not in Cubase SE what has the v.1 engine.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

As the originator of this \"bug\" (which IBM would cleverly disguise as a \"feature\") I just checked on what Ron Klaren stated about the disk icon up at the top left of the Kontakt Player. So, GigaLove, unless Cubase SE has chosen a different interfact from Cubase SX that works fine. Indeed, that\'s where \"Store Preset\" is. I guess the thing that confused me (and therefore \"bit\" me as good bugs do) is the terminology. I LOAD a \"MULTI\" but I STORE a PRESET.

My other naivete was that I originally looked at LOADing a \"MULTI\" as a quick way of starting with multiple instruments and that like any other Kontakt player once \"inside\" Cubase that changes to it would be saved in much the same way that changes and additions to another Kontakt player would be. The unforgiveable part here is that all of the changes to the KP went totally UNSAVED and UNWARNED!

Mea culpa!

Multis/Presets are yet another POWERFUL feature of GPO! (Just a little quirky in the KP implementation but I guess I should complain the NI about that! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

kev

Go Back to forum