• Register
  • Help

Topic: Working with Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Working with Sibelius

Hello, I\'m rather new to the music world and currently my only music equipment is a copy of Sibelius for Mac (version 2, but I plan on getting the update). I was curious just in what way Sibelius was compatible with Personal Orchestra. Would I be able to use it within the program itself for playback as I\'m composing? With only a copy of sibelius and Personal Orchestra would I be able to produce good sounding mp3 files, or is there some other technology that\'s necessary? I guess since I\'m new to the music world I really don\'t know a whole lot about what technology does what... all the other programs included in Personal Orchestra, besides what would be used with sibelius itself... what is all of it? If I were using Personal Orchestra just for use with sibelius, would I need (or have any use for) any of those other programs?
    Thanks,
    -JaredC

Re: Working with Sibelius

Hi Jared

I was in exactly the same situation as you are now, owning nothing but a copy of Sibelius. When I got GPO, I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked with Sibelius. You need to download the GPO Studio from the web site in order for GPO to work with Sibelius. In this way you can hear more or less what your composition will sound like while you are composing in Sibelius. I think there are ways to make mp3\'s directly from Sibelius but, I think, in order for everything to sound really good and to be able to make good sounding mp3\'s, you really need to use Cubasis, which is included in the GPO package.Like you, I don\'t know a whole lot about mixing and sequencing, but you get the hang of it later on. I simply went through the tutorial that is included in Cubasis. It explains the basic concepts very clearly. You save your scores in Sibelius in MIDI format and then you can work with it in Cubasis.

I hope this helps. GPO sounds so good, you would definately want to use it to it\'s full potential, not just with Sibelius.

Oh thanks, that\'s helps alot. As long as there are manuals so I\'m not totally lost, I\'m all set. I wasn\'t sure exactly what Cubasis did, but as long as I can save stuff straight from Sibelius and then load it with Cubasis, I\'d definately utilize it as much as I could. I was worried it would be more complicated than that. Thanks for the help! I\'m definately getting Personal Orchestra now. I was planning on getting the Kontakt Player Gold that you can get in addition with Sibelius, but as long as Personal Orchestra plays within Sibelius, even if its to a limited extent, then I may not need it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    -JaredC

Good thinking. I have Gold, and GPO is much better....:-)

Hi, I was just looking at the features page, and noticed the it said GPO included \"Cubasis VST™ (for PC)\" Am I to understand that if I\'m on a Mac, I won\'t be able to use Cubasis? If so, is there anything I\'d be able to do to touch up music coming from Sibelius? Thanks-
    -JaredC

Louis,

What version of Sibelius are you using? I have v.2 and am looking seriously at GPO but would prefer not to upgrade Sibelius (again).

Thanks!
    Graham Smith

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi Jared

I was in exactly the same situation as you are now, owning nothing but a copy of Sibelius. When I got GPO, I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked with Sibelius. You need to download the GPO Studio from the web site in order for GPO to work with Sibelius. In this way you can hear more or less what your composition will sound like while you are composing in Sibelius. I think there are ways to make mp3\'s directly from Sibelius but, I think, in order for everything to sound really good and to be able to make good sounding mp3\'s, you really need to use Cubasis, which is included in the GPO package.Like you, I don\'t know a whole lot about mixing and sequencing, but you get the hang of it later on. I simply went through the tutorial that is included in Cubasis. It explains the basic concepts very clearly. You save your scores in Sibelius in MIDI format and then you can work with it in Cubasis.

I hope this helps. GPO sounds so good, you would definately want to use it to it\'s full potential, not just with Sibelius.

Hi Graham

I used Sibelius 2 until very recently with GPO, then I upgraded to Sibelius 3, but for file compatability reasons, not because it works better with GPO. Sibelius 2 worked just perfect with GPO from the moment I got it.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi Graham

I used Sibelius 2 until very recently with GPO, then I upgraded to Sibelius 3, but for file compatability reasons, not because it works better with GPO. Sibelius 2 worked just perfect with GPO from the moment I got it.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Hi, Louis.

Thanks for the quick response. It's good to know that I DON'T have to upgrade! Sib 3 looks wonderful, but I have limited bucks, as is the case with a lot of folks who get into this but have other commitments!

Graham

Go Back to forum