• Register
  • Help

Topic: Set up my Mac

Share/Bookmark

Set up my Mac

I just received GPO today.

Have not tried installing it yet but I have a few questions.

Is there an update to Kompact for the version included in GPO?

Should I increase my Ram from 1 gig to 2 gig?

Will I get better performance using Digital Performer rather than Pro Tools LE?

Thanks for the help.

My Specs
    Dual 1.25 G4
    1 gig Ram
    Digi 002r
    PT 6.4
    Mac OSX 6.2.3

Re: Set up my Mac

Is there an update to Kompact for the version included in GPO?
    > It\'s the Kontakt Player (not Kompakt). Check www.garritan.com for updates.
    Obvious, I don\'t know which version you were shipped.

Should I increase my Ram from 1 gig to 2 gig?
    > A good idea, but not essential. I have 1.5GB in my G4 Dual Gig, I\'m very satisfied. I don\'t think I\'ve ever used even 1 GB. The limitation is cpu power, for me at least.

Will I get better performance using Digital Performer rather than Pro Tools LE?
    > DP is far stronger when it comes to Midi and controller manipulation, though it\'s not regarded as an efficient performing package under OSX on G4\'s. I don\'t personally know Pro Tools LE. I think you\'ll just have to test a sample midi file in both DP and Protools to see which performs better.

Additionally, OSX 10.3.3 won\'t be a bad idea for you, it\'s quite stable.

Good luck. You are entering a wonderful new world!

Trond

Re: Set up my Mac

Thanks for the words.

Kind of stuck in Limbo with authorizing/updating. My Music G4 is not on the internet and my internet computer is a G3, with no way to swap files. *Pain*

Have to do the stuff at work and then transfer it: You have to join NI, register product, mess with the registry tool, get authorization, and then download update to get it working. This is a pain, but especially if you always have to tranfer stuff from different computers.

Go Back to forum