• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPOstudio / sibelius / scorch

GPOstudio / sibelius / scorch

At sibeliusmusic.com I discovered the \"scorch\" plugin which gave me a chance to try out GPO studio and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to make it all work ... I\'ve been considering upgrading my Sibelius 1 to v3 and this has added some more weight to that idea [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Question: If I configure a particular combination of instruments in GPO studio, save it to a .GPO file and give that file to another GPO user, can they load that file on their system, even if they\'ve got GPO installed in a different path, or are running on Mac (I\'m on Windows)? I\'m thinking it would be an interesting way to share music with this community - rather than posting mp3 files, post a scorch version plus a .GPO file so other GPO users could hear it, comment on the score itself, etc.

BTW, for fun I A/B\'d the same tune (2 violins, 2 violas, cello, db) between my Roland SC8850 and GPO. I knew GPO was impressive but in a side-by-side test you realise how outstanding it really is [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: GPOstudio / sibelius / scorch

I\'d like to give the idea a try-out! I think it\'s a great idea. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I can play Scorch files over the Internet, set the device to GPO Studio 1, change my sounds in GPO Studio, and get GPO playback. I\'ve tried it on non-GPO pieces, and it works (as best it can without the necessary GPO particulars).

I think you\'re limited to the 8 slots of a single GPO Studio Player. Right? I don\'t see any way to select more than a single instance of a Player.

Can you set up an Internet page with the Scorch file and GPO Studio file?

I checked to see if Finale offers something comparable. They have their free Finale NotePad for playing back Finale files. But Finale NotePad will not let you set the device from NotePad. In order to playback a Finale file with NotePad with GPO Studio you\'ll have to set your default MIDI device to GPO Studio (I guess).

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you\'re limited to the 8 slots of a single GPO Studio Player. Right? I don\'t see any way to select more than a single instance of a Player.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, it does look that way ... I\'ve decided overnight that I am going to upgrade to S3 and use that as my main composition tool, so I\'ll see if the manual has anything to say about it. I\'ll post here again when I\'ve actually got some music happening in this format [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ok Adam ,you\'re just the man.
    When you get your Sibelius please try this:
    Load a String quartet template.
    Load the string quartet GPO into the player.
    Put some notes on the staves and then try to specify pizzicato half way through.
    I\'m sure there\'s a way but I just can\'t work it out.
    The main intruments are on channels 1,3,5,7 and the pizz on 2,4,6,8.
    How do you get Sibelius to send a channel change to the player?
    I know how to do bank and prog changes but not channel. I can do it easy in Overture but I\'d prefer to do it in Sibelius.
    Using a soundfont, bank and prog was all that was needed but the player isn\'t organised like a soundfont. Editing the \'meaning\' of Pizz doesn\'t seem to allow channel change and anyway, still wouldn\'t be right because the channel change has to be different for each stave. I have asked around but no one knows, surely someone has sorted this by now, its so basic.

Curious, I installed the latest Sibelius demo version.

This is what I would do:

Create 8 staves: 2 Violin I, 2 Violin II, 2 Viola, 2 Cello.

Make channel assignments to match up to GPO Vln 1, Vln1 pizz, Vln 2, Vln 2 pizz, Viola, Viola pizz, Cello, Cello pizz (channels 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) Easy enough so far.

But perhaps you may want it to look like 4 staves:

\"Hide\" the overlapping rests of the associated bowed/pizz staves, grab the pizz staff and pull it up so that it sits directly on top of the associated bowed staff.

Then you\'ve got a score that looks like 4 staves, but secretly (ha! ha! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) you play on 8.

Alternatively you could also simply hide those staffs by changing them to \"no lines, invisible\". Of course you will want to do that after finishing everything else.

Hi Adam
    Thats a clever workaround. Thanks.
    However, at this level of software, it shoudn\'t need a workaround do you agree?Your method would still be a pain if you wanted to edit the points at which the transitions occurred which of course you are bound to sooner or later. I want to do this in Sib rather than Overture (where its easy) because I find Sib so much easier to write in, though I concede Overture has many good points and in some areas its much easie than Sib but its clumsy just putting in and editing notes. Overture\'s screen and print output and navigation is less elegant than Sib.
    Why oh why can\'t they all get it right?
    Also I have found that most of the dynamics play out of Sib to GPO with no problem just as they are, ie no midi commands appended as instructed in GPO manual. At he moment I\'m starting in Sib, saving to Midi opening in Overure and sorting out the channels. Thats a pain.

Go Back to forum