• Register
  • Help

Topic: "St. George" update - Comments?

Share/Bookmark

\"St. George\" update - Comments?

A couple of weeks ago I posted a clip of an old piece I wrote in the mid 90s, “St. George and the Dragon”, that I was planning on orchestrating along with the new intro to that piece done with GPO. I’m a little farther along now though still nowhere close to being done.

I’ve gone in a slightly different direction than I had originally planned. Since I started off going one way and switched gears in the middle I need to work on structure a little more to get everything going the way I want. I don’t know if it’s going to work out, but at least I’ve been having fun and am getting some experience working with orchestral colors instead pure synth tones.

I’ve been concentrating on getting the composition, arrangement, orchestration, etc down and haven’t been as particular about the performance. Also, I pretty much just exported without thinking about the mix. Those things can wait until I am done writing this.

Comments, criticisms, etc. always welcome.

http://trentsworld.com/music/postings/st-george-4-24-2004.mp3

Re: \"St. George\" update - Comments?

Very nice. I like the motivic usage and the way you almost deliberately introduce dissonance into the harmony. Very nice orchestration also; I like how it develops. Just curious: how did you export to mp3? Are you using a sequencer or notation program with GPO Streamer? There were some pops and audio artifacts that crept into the mix--which I realize wasn\'t your top priority here, but just curious.

I definitely hear all the potential in there. Good work. This is really going to sound great when it is completed and the performance has been cleaned up. I\'m excited to see what you come up with for the ending.

Thanks for the comments. Sometimes my use of dissonance is little too deliberate – I’m afraid I sometimes force it.

I’m recording into Cubase. I’ve noticed the pops and hisses. I can’t figure out how tro get rid of them – I’ve played with about every setting. My computer is brand new, has a lot of memory, a fast processor and almost nothing else running yet I get these pops. Strangely enough, my old computer would choke on almost anything too complex yet would export to wave or mp3 without a single pop. The new one is smooth as silk, no latency, but I get pops even when I do the export, even if I only have few midi channels. Differences are the old computer ran Cubase SL 1 and an Audigy card while the new one has Cubase SX 2 and an Emu 1212m card.

Sorry I digressed.

I\'ll post this again when I get to a another natural pause.

Thanks again for the comments.

Trent,

I hear some real potential here. Your use of dissonance is interesting; like the first part is the dragon and the second trumpet fanfare is St. George. Don\'t take it away just yet.

Why not try adding some room or hall effect? It will make a big difference in how you arrange your instruments. In Cubase, choose Devices -> Master Effects (F7) and select Garritan Ambience and choose a setting. Look forward to hearing the next incantation.

Thanks for listening.

I put a little reverb in as a send effect. Just a little - I guess I could have turned it up a bit.

I\'ve started making a sketch of the next section but haven\'t recorded anything yet. Hopefully in two or three weeks I\'ll be at another natural pause.

Thanks again for your comments.

Go Back to forum