• Register
  • Help

Topic: Did u know Giga 3 will run on XP only, not Win2000

Share/Bookmark

Did u know Giga 3 will run on XP only, not Win2000

I\'m bummed about this. I wonder what the issue really is. Win2000 will be officially supported by MS for virtually the same duration as XP will be according to MS. And Giga 2.5x runs super fine on my copy of Win2K, as does my sequencer. I really like 2K for the simple reason is that it is a bit leaner than XP, and is at least as stable, plus everything works great now. And as an added bonus, it\'s the last OS that does not require Activation for what it\'s worth.

I have emailed Tascam re this, to let them know if there is any way possible to still make sure GS 3.0 works with 2K, unless there is some fundemental difference that has forced the issue. If you would like to see 2K support continue, send an email. I really did not want to \"upgrade\" to XP at this time, but alas, I\'m wanted GS 3.0. May have to dual boot!

Noel

Re: Did u know Giga 3 will run on XP only, not Win2000

Giga 3 will run on Win2k. I saw posting that they Giga3 Alfa or beta is working on Win 2k .
    -sank

I hope to not sound like a dinosaur, but does this mean 3.0 will not run on Win 98? I have a dedicated Giga 2.5 machine and it ain\'t broke... (looking like I\'ll have to fix it anyway)

Steve

Thanks, that is hopeful. Here is the nice quote from Tascam \"support\":

\"Noel,

Giga 3.0 will run on XP only.\"

I hope the insider is wrong!

Noel

Its not garanteed to work in 2000 but it might work so give it try when it comes out. Tech support will only cover XP though. I\'ll have to try it on 98 sometime and see what happens.

Later
    Dave

That\'s a bit rich. Pretty much everything runs on XP AND 2000 these days, and my understanding is that there\'s not much difference between how they actually work and not a lot of work in ensuring 2000-compatibility for something that was already written for XP.

I know that 2000 would only account for a small (and shrinking) percentage of the user base, but it seems a bit stingy not to do this. 98 is a different story because it is a fundamentally very different OS and thus much more work to adapt the code for.

Re: Did u know Giga 3 will run on XP only, not Win

I\'d be very suprised if it did run on 98 given the increased ram accessbility & planning for 64bit with even greater capacity.

Here is the latest email from Tascam w/ response

Well, I hope your company has a compelling *reason* for this. As I\'m sure you must know, there are many users of Win2K, and since the core kernal is the same as in XP, it is no wonder virtually every single program out that runs on XP runs on 2K. In fact, I know of no program that runs exclusively on XP and not 2K.

If your company has decided to put code into Giga 3 that specifically shuts off access within 2K, you can be assured there will be a very justified backlash to this. Again, can you state WHY? Are there specific DLLs that are not present in 2K, what is ACTUAL reason besides . . . \"it is designed specifically to run only on XP\". It really sounds like it was \"designed specifically NOT to run on 2K\". If you are not certain of the technical reason for this, can you please forward the question on to someone who does? Or was it a *deal* with MS?!

Cheers

The competition is looking more attractive with each email!

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 8:49 AM
    To: ncp10@pacbell.net
    Subject: RE: US-040419-225759

Noel,

It runs just on XP because it is specifically designed to do so. It is not specifically designed to run on 2K.

Go Back to forum