• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Grrr! OT: Need help finding a book!

Share/Bookmark

Grrr! OT: Need help finding a book!

Sorry if this is too off topic, but the GPO forums has become GPO/People-who-love-to-help forums!

I am looking to find a book that has full orchestral sheet music of movie music. For example, a book that has Danny Elfman\'s sheet music (the full sheet music, not a stupid piano reduction) as well as the song on a CD so I can follow along. I don\'t care if the book has nothing but those two things - sheet music + CD - or even if it doesn\'t have a CD, I can get the songs myself!

I can\'t seem to find them anywhere on Amazon.

Thanks in advance [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Junk

Re: Grrr! OT: Need help finding a book!

Me too....but I gave it up. I also went to my local library which has a huge sheet music pool....but concerning filmscoring...absolutely nothing to find. Internet: nope

Any hints are welcome. But I fear that film composers principally don\'t give their sheet music away.

I see momentanous the only way getting the CD and trying to analyze it measure by measure.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I\'m not asking for anything to be \"given\" to me! hehe

Believe me, I\'d pay for the scores!

I think the ultimate training course for \"composing for film\" would be to have the sheet music of every cue of a given film (done by a well-known composer) and follow along with it! See how the composer demonstrates the wide range of emotions with the orchestra. Then do the same for other composers (ideally, all of whom have very different styles). That would be soooooooooo useful! At least to me *sigh

- Junk

In my 13 years as Musical Director I can tell you that it is like pulling an elephants tooth! Now, I\'m talking mostly musicals for stage and or motion pictures. I can\'t imagine trying to obtain the complete score for say Star Wars not in the reduced piano, vocal, guitar book. I think I have only two to my name that are filled with cues and full instrumentation. Everything else is the condensed piano book.
    Anyone finds a gold mine of \"full\" scores for films I want in as well! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Good luck!

..yeah....a John Williams complete sheet music collection....that would be very instructive....

Hi Guys,

Don’t know if this will help. I have not used any of these, but perhaps one of you brave souls who have some extra bucks might try one of these scores out and report back to us.

John Williams\' Scores

Gook Luck,

Thanks Karl

I might just have to pick up a few of those! They are in the right direction, and probably will be very instructional. But I wanted shorter cues, as well (I know I\'m getting greedy now). Before I see how the masters compose a wildly romantic love scene or a tear jerking death scene, I would LOVE to see how they compose those little cues - the ones that are used as transitions from one scene to the next, or interjections of emotions which help the audience get into the mind of a specific character. Did you know there is a word for the high pitched (usually violin) sound that is held over a scene for the purpose of suspense? I can\'t remember the word, but they used to show it before movies (before the previews!).

In any case, thanks a bunch for the link - I will definitely check them out and let you guys know how they work out for me.

- Junk

If you\'re looking for John Williams music, go out and buy scores of Gustav Holst and Dmitri Shostakovitch. Especially Holst\'s \"The Planets\" and Shostakovitch\'s 5th Symphony.

You\'ll find everything John Williams \"wrote\" in there.

chris.

[ QUOTE ]
    If you\'re looking for John Williams music, go out and buy scores of Gustav Holst and Dmitri Shostakovitch. Especially Holst\'s \"The Planets\" and Shostakovitch\'s 5th Symphony.

You\'ll find everything John Williams \"wrote\" in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes, another of the faithless. You gotta remember, as far as tonal music is concerned, there is very little that hasn\'t been done (BTW, you forgot Bartok in your list with Holst & Shostakovitch). I dunno, I enjoy Williams\' music. He\'s why I\'m in this business.

Junk,

Here\'s one place:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_home.html?cart=32800645793931677

but you won\'t find many major scores there. As someone else already pointed out, Alexander Publishing is the best place to find scores. It may even be the only place. We\'ve bought quite a few of them, and they are very good. Well worth the money.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum