• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A request - Music Therapy

Share/Bookmark

A request - Music Therapy

I have an interesting and challenging proposition for all you composers.
    The school that I work for deals with students that are problematic and have sociological issues. In short, the school PA plays music during period changes in an attempt to see if it will have any calming effects on student temperament.
    Here’s my challenge for all of you if you are interested. I am asking that you compose a short piece of music designed to sooth the “savage beast” so to speak. I would intern download it and burn to CD for the school to play during class changes. You intern, you would get feedback from us (the teachers and administration) as to how effective your short composition was or is in settling down the students. Bare in mind this is only an experiment also a request and is not intended to characterize your work or you as a composer. I only ask that you present your work using GPO with whatever other libraries you have.
    Let me know how you feel and if you are interested - OR - if you have ideas to add.
    This is my idea and was prompted after our superintendent asked if I had any music of this nature that would help with this concern
    Thanks.

Re: A request - Music Therapy

It sounds great, but I don\'t know why it must be exclusively GPO
    - maybe we have themes which can fit but were composed previously to GPO
    - maybe we like to use GPO in conjunction with our other libraries

Anyway, it seems like a very interesting idea

Yes, after thinking about it I retract that specification. I’m not one for having limits set on me so why should it be any different for you? You will notice I changed the request.
    Use what ever you wish!
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry to plug this piece twice in one week, but my piece \"Not the Moon\" is designed for meditation, and I think it would have a calming effect.

It\'s exclusively GPO, except for a short snippet towards the end which uses one cello harmonic patch from edirol.

The demo is in a post on this forum within the last few weeks--just notify me if you\'re going to use it, and if it has any effect.

chris.

Thanks Zoot!

I am familiar with your excellent work \"Not the Moon\" I will give a shout as soon as I hear from enough interested. We have to cover a full day of changes including breakfast and lunches.

Styxx,

I\'m interested.

Jonny

The “amen” portion of my piece “The Humbling of Job”, on the GPO demo page, represents Job making his quiet peace with God after their rather stormy go-rounds. It’s kind of short (about the last 60 seconds or so) but certainly feel free to rip it out and use it if you think it might help.

This is a great idea. I have also recorded a few pieces on the classical guitar that might work for you. If you think you might like to hear them, please email me and I’ll be happy to let you use them.

Best wishes for your project,

Certainly, anything anyone of you GPOer\'s have and feel would add some harmony to our everyday discordal moments at the school is welcome.
    What I will do is email anyone who is willing to contribute then compile the music on CD and finally play each piece for the teachers to decide. Does this sound fair to you? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

hy styxx, you can count on me.
    i also do some things for social integretaion in germany.
    i did a musical with kids from 8 to 14 years in 1994.

[ QUOTE ]
    I have an interesting and challenging proposition for all you composers.
    The school that I work for deals with students that are problematic and have sociological issues. In short, the school PA plays music during period changes in an attempt to see if it will have any calming effects on student temperament.
    Here’s my challenge for all of you if you are interested. I am asking that you compose a short piece of music designed to sooth the “savage beast” so to speak. I would intern download it and burn to CD for the school to play during class changes. You intern, you would get feedback from us (the teachers and administration) as to how effective your short composition was or is in settling down the students. Bare in mind this is only an experiment also a request and is not intended to characterize your work or you as a composer. I only ask that you present your work using GPO with whatever other libraries you have.
    Let me know how you feel and if you are interested - OR - if you have ideas to add.
    This is my idea and was prompted after our superintendent asked if I had any music of this nature that would help with this concern
    Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the March issue of the BBC\'s Music magazine, there\'s an article about classical music and advertising, which would have a similar application here. I would suggest tuning in to www.beethoven.com and listen as to how they build their playlist, including film scores. I\'d then create a similar playlist, using short pieces. I would also pick bright, happy sounding pieces.

Go Back to forum