• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Chat-Session

Share/Bookmark

GPO Chat-Session

Would anyone be interested in taking part in a half-hour weekly \'online-chat\' session focussed on GPO-related issues?

Re: GPO Chat-Session

wonderful idea.
    for example every tuesday?

that sounds good. How would we do it though? IRC?

also, just so people who can\'t make it dont miss out on anything, we should log it and post the logs here [or a link to the longs on here].

-jamie

Can I take part ????

------------------------------

Gary Garritan

\"I don\'t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.\" -Groucho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I think thatis a great idea!!!

Jonny

He says \"can I take part\" HA!
    No Gary, now why would they want THE MAN WHO STARTED THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE IN ON A CHAT SESSION? Of course you can boss ---- you the #1 man!

That\'s great -- like a GPO user\'s group (online edition).

I wouldn\'t have much to add but would love to \"sit in\" and watch. For those of us who are IRC virgins perhaps the process can be explained.

[ QUOTE ]
    That\'s great -- like a GPO user\'s group (online edition).

I wouldn\'t have much to add but would love to \"sit in\" and watch. For those of us who are IRC virgins perhaps the process can be explained.

[/ QUOTE ]

basically you need an app. If on PC, I suggest MiRC www.mirc.com

or Mac, get Snak www.snak.com

IRC is Internet Relay Chat. Think of it like a yahoo chat room but more control, almost like yahoo chat is a windows or java app, and IRC is like going into DOS or command line in unix. Maybe bad analogy cause it\'s not tough, just more options.

There are different IRC providers. Efnet and Undernet being one of the more popular two.

To connect to these providers, you need to connect to a server. The IRC clients mentioned above has all the servers already built into them, you just click on one and click connect.

examples of servers...

surrey.uk.eu.undernet.org

another

us.rr.efnet.net

as you can see, it\'s easy to see which provider you are going to connect to. Now that everyone has broadband, the server you pick doenst matter as much. Before it did because the farther the server is away from you, the more lag you might get. Lag being, if I say something like Hi, how are you? and you respond as \"fine\", everyone in the channel won\'t see what you said for sometimes minutes [if the lag is bad]

you can \"ping\" yourself to see how bad your lag is, you usuaully want to see a ping reply of 0 seconds to 2 at most [2 is still a ot in my book, well enough to be annoying].

I am on undernet right now in a channel called garritan.

if any of you guys get an irc client, stop by

connect to an undernet server, then join the channel #garritan

if you can type in a text field, just type in /join #garritan

I can explain more when you are on because it might be easier. They even have channels for newbies.

-jamie

Hey I am there.... but unfortunately it looks like you consider your cat\'s litter box of a higher importance then your GPO buddies [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Count me in, I\'ll be happy to join as time permits.

Go Back to forum