• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Muted Trumpets?

Muted Trumpets?

Cup mutes especially. Anything out there?

The kind of thing you here in jazzy musicals like \"Thoroughly Modern Millie.\" I have QL Brass but they don\'t cut it. The stacattos simply aren\'t fast enough and the though I love the library these aren\'t it\'s strong points IMHO. Has anyone else done anything really good in this area?

South Ken, London

Re: Muted Trumpets?

The X-sample trumpet has a cup mute patch, I think. Its been a long time since I used it but I think I\'m right. I can\'t remember how punchy it was though.

Ah - good old cup mutes.... This is the bane of my life! The work I do often requires different muted brass (harmon/cup/plunger/bucket etc.), and unfortunately after extensive and continuing research, I\'m afraid you\'re stuck with QLB - same as me!

The only other brass lib I use is SAM but of course that is a much more classical sound.

I got excited about Kick [censored] Brass but but after contacting them about the upcoming VST version, they told me that there were no plans to do anything other than tin (harmon) mutes. Which is what QLB already has.

The only hope is the upcoming GPO Big Band/Jazz edition. Fingers crossed! And let me know if you find anything that you find suitable in the meantime [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oops - didn\'t realise that it would censor that word! If you want a clue the word is a*s and rhymes with glass [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

South Ken, London

At the end of the day, cup mutes are basically just filters aren\'t they?. Have any of you guys ever tried to replicate the various mutes by using different filters on un-muted trumpet patches?. I\'ve done this from time to time but only for effect and not really in an attempt at direct emulation of a model. Maybe there\'s somebody out there with the magic formulae!. Bruce must have something up his sleeve here....

Thanks all for the input. It\'s kind of uncharted waters out there for this kind of thing, I\'m starting to get some Broadway type assignments....looks like I call in a real guy for these and make less money

I\'ll let everyone know if I find something that works.

[ QUOTE ]
    This just dawned on me...

You know what would be fun? Find an old, junk trumpet or bugle with an intact bell, hacksaw off the bell with a good length of straight tubing, solder or weld a flange to it, and then mount a compression driver to the back end (something like an old EV 1829). Then, you could hook it up to an amp and stick any kind of mute into it and acoustically mic the result. If you made it sturdy enough and mounted it on a stand, you could even use a plunger on it with your left hand while playing a MIDI keyboard with your right hand.

Lee Blaske

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally a use for the Fart Library. What else would one use at the mouthpiece of a trumpet? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Call the guy... You won\'t find the bite or the different mutes in any library right now. I do those musical and show jobs all the time, or so it feels..., and the setting I end up with most often includes live players for brass (at least sax and trumpet), guitar and drums. The rest is a combination of current libraries VSL Pro, QLB etc. Often when doing musicals you have to do maybe 30-40 tracks for a single project and the time I save from tracking live players for these parts is well worth it. My only wish would be that they could do the engineering themselves at the same time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They also add realism to the sound that hides the flaws in the sample libs or maybe rather less than stellar midi programming due to time and budget considerations.

give a listen to my \"It\'s All Minor\" and somewhere in one of the horn solo choruses I have a Jazz cup muted falling trumpet after the Bardsatown Borsendorer Piano Solo.

Descritpion of score: (look down a few songs..

Alan Russell

Sound great!

What jazz cup muted trumpet is that?

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio

Go Back to forum