• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A alternative to Giga studio's NFX

Share/Bookmark

A alternative to Giga studio\'s NFX

It seems most people here including myself dont like the sound of the NFX that come with giga studio , mostly the reverb falls short.
    Until now I was forced to use them if I wanted effects on giga sounds because I don\'t have a card with a built in DSP like pulsar or mixtreme [its a Darla 24]and if I run giga with cakewalk I could get some nice effects on my audio tracks in cakewalk , but they are not midi effects and were not avalible for playing back midi files like giga samples in cakewalk.
    Well with new new program called Sonar from Cakewalk you can not only use the same effects for audio and midi ,but you can also hear the effects before you even record anything .Just plug in and its like your running in to a rack mount effect unit ,you dont even have to record anything .
    They call it input monitoring .
    And those chezzy effects that use to come with cakewalk are now really good sounding.
    I have the Sonar XL that comes with effects or you can use third party effects .
    But the Cakewalk reverb FX is really good.
    Just want to put my 2 cents in .
    And mention I am a very satisfied customer , for any one considering buying it .
    I wish I was this satisfied with giga studio[you know the pop and click thing is a prob] but maybe they will have some of that worked out in the XP version.

Re: A alternative to Giga studio\'s NFX

Agree with you Ken about the Sonar Fx-Reverb (Studio-Verb). I\'d like to share more:

It is pretty cool Verb. Especially on the presets like \"piano concert hall\" and many others, they all are great, ready-to-use, no need as customized preset. As for me, it could be much better than TC-Verb/NFX-Verb/RealVerb, and most of easy-to-use Verbs.

Again, It really be best Fx-verb that I have ever heard, very smooth and natural sounding. Each verbs only takes about less than 5% CPU, about 2.5% CPU on my P4-System...Amazing!

Also my other 2-cent-Worth.
    Long

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 11-14-2001).]

Ditto!
    Very sweet reverb. I love it on vocals too. Peace.

Hi guys,

I want to understand better what you\'re saying..

You mean you can apply the audio FX that come with Sonar to the midi tracks?

This feature is not available in Pro Audio 9, is it?

I\'m running PA 9 and have even tried the demo of Sonar but never knew this was a feature.

Please confirm this....you can actually plug-in an audio effect into a midi track and hear the results?

So, how would you set this up? You turn on input monitoring, but unless you\'re using two sound cards (which the help says introduces distortion), how could you plug the sound card\'s output into its input without causing feedback? Or am I completely missing something, as usual?

[This message has been edited by ursatz (edited 11-11-2001).]

Marty
    posted 11-11-2001 07:49 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi guys,
    I want to understand better what you\'re saying..

You mean you can apply the audio FX that come with Sonar to the midi tracks?

This feature is not available in Pro Audio 9, is it?

I\'m running PA 9 and have even tried the demo of Sonar but never knew this was a feature.

Please confirm this....you can actually plug-in an audio effect into a midi track and hear the results?

Your exactly right , cakewalk 9.0 does not have this capability and yes you can apply audio effects to midi tracks in Sonar.

--------------------------------------

Question
    So, how would you set this up? You turn on input monitoring, but unless you\'re using two sound cards (which the help says introduces distortion), how could you plug the sound card\'s output into its input without causing feedback? Or am I completely missing something, as usual?
    Well my set up is a SB live and a Darla 24.
    The SB I just use for the midi in capability and for playing back Mp3\'s in my media player.
    The Darla , I assign outputs 1,2,5,6,7,8 for Sonar and outputs 3 and 4 for giga studio.
    So I use the same card in multiclient mode.
    The only little thing to remember is when turning on input monitoring in sonar , turn off monitoring of the input in your software driver mixer for your card and just enable the output to be monitored.
    It will still work if you dont do this but you will here abit of a flanging effect that you dont want.
    Because you will be monitoring both the input as it goes into the card plus the output as it leaves the card .
    Anyway just monitor the output.

Question

Well my set up is a SB live and a Darla 24.
    The SB I just use for the midi in capability and for playing back Mp3\'s in my media player.
    The Darla , I assign outputs 1,2,5,6,7,8 for Sonar and outputs 3 and 4 for giga studio.
    So I use the same card in multiclient mode.
    The only little thing to remember is when turning on input monitoring in sonar , turn off monitoring of the input in your software driver mixer for your card and just enable the output to be monitored.
    It will still work if you dont do this but you will here abit of a flanging effect that you dont want.
    Because you will be monitoring both the input as it goes into the card plus the output as it leaves the card .
    Anyway just monitor the output.

One thing that I should mention.
    It nice to have input monitor feature in Sonar and I think that means that I will beable to play back giga studio through those audio effects but Im running XP and I wount know for sure until giga studio 2.5 comes out and I can try it.
    I was asuming I could , but I should try it before I say.
    Anyone tried it In win 98?

Yes, I also want to mention to all of you that I have true verb sonic timeworks, Waves Renaissance. (Sonar sounds more natural to me. The reverb is very Smooth and not exagerated!) To me Sonar XL is truly a breakthru. I think that the reverbs are really high quality. I definately think it is great for orchestral. I also think its incredible how much CPU it actually uses.
    I am usin FX3 only for room placement, then use reverb as the final colouring to my mix. I am restricted due to latency with MME and I want Gigastudio to come out with DXI. This would be great!!

Sonar blows me away!!!

Anyone used the TAssMAn yet?

Very satisfied with the Reverb Excellent!

My 2cents about it!

Anyone elses 2 cents on Sonars Reverb?

[This message has been edited by caveman (edited 11-12-2001).]

It is designed to work best under the XP/2K-WDM driver (Recommended), where is as low as 1.5ms latency.
    It also works fine on the 98SE-MME driver when you run the Sonar MIDI-Seq with the GigaStudio (not an Ext-KB-Ctrl).
    In additional feature on the Sonar \"Input Monitoring\", for those who are using DSP-Mixing cards (like Mixtrem, pulsar, etc), this can be used as many External Inserted or sent-and-returned effects as well. Don\'t forget, Under Sonar\'s audio option, advanced tab, needed a checked box of \"Play Effect Tail After Stopping\".

So, under 98SE platform is also working fine!
    Hope this helps,
    Long

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kenn159:
    One thing that I should mention.
    It nice to have input monitor feature in Sonar and I think that means that I will beable to play back giga studio through those audio effects but Im running XP and I wount know for sure until giga studio 2.5 comes out and I can try it.
    I was asuming I could , but I should try it before I say.
    Anyone tried it In win 98?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 11-14-2001).]

Go Back to forum