• Register
  • Help

Topic: A little composition I'd like to share

A little composition I\'d like to share

Hi all

I\'ve been working on a little Violin Concerto the last couple of weeks and I\'ve finnished the second movement before the others. It\'s rather simple and personal, but I thought I would share it and see what you think. It\'s probably not to everybody\'s taste, but perhaps someone would like it. The mixing isn\'t great, this is still something I\'m really working on. As it is, it comes straight from Sibelius, it\'s only GPO, Sibelius and me. I have to say, the solo violins in GPO sound absolutely splendid. I couldn\'t decide which one to use. I eventually decided on the third one.

Anyway, here goes!

I hope this links works. Everytime the UBB code thing asks for two links...I\'m lost.

Re: A little composition I\'d like to share

Wow, I really like it. I can\'t wait to hear how it sounds when it\'s done.

If anything, I MAYBE would turn down the solo violins just a touch, not too much, but they seem to a little shrilling when listening to this with headphones. It could also just be EQ, or I have my headphones up too loud [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] either way, sounds great. Another piece that is making me glad I bought GPO =)

This is really lovely [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

definately like it.

Hi Louis,

This piece is quite nice. I don’t have a lot of experience with recording production, but I can tell you how I might approach this piece. Maybe it will get you started thinking of how you want to mix it.

First, think of the setting as if you were going to a concert to here Hilary Hahn play your violin concerto. She would be standing there in the middle of the stage, looking gorgeous, playing her heart out in front of the orchestra. OK enough fantecy. So in your piece, what is she doing over to the left with all the other violins?. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Pan her to the center, perhaps just a little to the left of the conductor. Now bring her a little to the front by giving her track a little dryer sound than the rest of the orchestra. There are also other things you can do with the reverb, but this will work for starters. If you have an EQ plug, you might want to experiment with it a little to help separate her from the other players. To my ears, which are far too old to trust, she sounds just a little brittle on the high end. Rolling off her highs just a pinch, boosting her sweet spot from around 240-5,000 and gently rolling off the higher frequencies just a little, and bringing her to the front with a slight dryer sound, might help somewhat.

There are others on this forum that have more experience that I with mixing, but I hope this will get you thinking. Anyway it’s very nice.

Good luck

West Seneca, NY

What the! It did not work for me. Nothing frustrates me more than not being able to hear something new! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Hamburg, Germany

Really beautiful ..

Orcas Island

Very beautiful and moving Violin Concerto. It was quite ambitious of you to take on a violin solo and equally ambition to do it in Sibelius.

Coming from a notation program, it is very expressive and lyrical. I like the violin solo. The run at 3:09 could use a little work (maybe more alternation and variability) but the rest is quite nice. I agree with Karl\'s suggestion about some judicious use of panning and EQ.

I would like to post this on the GPO demo page when you are finished if you would not mind.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum