• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sustain/Legato simultaneously in GPO, how?

Sustain/Legato simultaneously in GPO, how?

I would like to be able to use the Steinway with the \"normal\" sustain pedal, while having a different instance of GPO with the sustain pedal in \"legato mode\". Maybe I\'ve missed a post that explains it, I looked on http://www.garritan.com/troubleshooting.html, which has 3 workarounds listed, but 2 are using the Full Kontakt version (which I do not have), and I don\'t understand the third one, which talks about duplicating a VST instance of GPO and renaming it. I\'m using Cubase SX with GPO as a VST instrument. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Sustain/Legato simultaneously in GPO, how?

sorry pianoman, not sure yet, Ill look into it more later after this contest ends [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Open the CubaseSX VST folder and locate “PersonalOrchestraVST.dll.” Right click on it and select “copy.” Right click and select “paste.” Rename the copy “PersonalOrchestraVST2.dll” You should now see two Personal Orchestra choices in the VST menu when you try to load an instance of GPO. If you don’t see the second choice you have probably created the second GPO in the wrong folder – check to see which folder CubaseSX is actually using for VST plugins.

Once you have two GPO choices on the menu use one for the piano and the second for the other instruments that need legato mode (or vice versa). Configure the piano instance for pedal mode 1 and the other instance for pedal mode 2. Any additional instances that require pedal mode 2 should use the .dll file that is set for pedal mode 2. For example, if PersonalOrchestraVST is used for the piano and PersonalOrchestraVST2 is used for the winds, choose PersonalOrchestraVST2 for any additional instances that require legato mode.

Thank\'s for the tip Tom...most useful.

The method worx only half-way for me. After saving and nustarting the song both players have the same pedal settings again. Is this a Cubase se issue again or does the saving not work for this method?

BTW in Cubase SE the saving of banks does not work either.....

Any hints are welcome!

Thanks so much for your reply, sounds like that\'s exactly what I need. Incidentally, maybe you guys could place your response in your QnA section on the web site instead of the somewhat cryptic explanation you have there right now.

This doesnt seem to work for mac users. At least not with the AU components [I made a second one in my plugins folder]. I didn\'t try it with the VST though, since Im using Logic and can\'t use VSTs in Logic.

Anyone try the VST-AU wrapper? though I don\'t know if Id want to use a VST converted to AU when I could just use the AU that was made to be an AU [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I just tested this on several sequencers since I had only tested it on Cubasis 4. On my system Cubasis 4 saved and reloaded the pedal settings. As for the others: CubaseSX did not, nor did Sonar3 or Logic5.5. I then went back to Cubasis 4 and tried to get it to lose the settings and found that I could indeed get it to drop the settings at least part of the time. I tried a couple of modifications to the naming scheme to see if I could eliminate the apparent interaction of the two versions upon saving, but no luck.

So, while this technique does indeed let you run instances with different pedal mode settings the instances will need to be configured upon load. Unfortunate, but better than not having a choice at all.

On the other hand, the same tests were successful with all of the sequencers when using the GPO player for one and the full version of Kontakt for the other. At least for now, this appears to be another advantage to having the full version of Kontakt. I’m not sure if anything can be done about the loss of settings when creating a second copy of the player like this since it is, strictly speaking, a trick workaround that wasn’t part of NI’s original design.

P.S. All tests used the VSTi and were conducted on PC/WinXP.

If users are using Sonar 3, they can use one instance of DXi and another instance that is VSTi.

That should work, ( not tested here but they should be totally different dll\'s with different CLSID\'s as well.)

When you copy the dll, it still shares the same CLSID in the registry.

Go Back to forum