• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: 3 Hard Disk for Gigastudio?

Share/Bookmark

3 Hard Disk for Gigastudio?

Hi

I work with Sonar 3 and Gigastudio. I use 1 160 Gb HD for sample and for audio simultaneously but now I would like to upgrade my system and buy other 2 IDE HD . 1 for audio and 2 for Giga samples (for a total of 3 IDE HD) . Do u think it is a good idea? I mean, if I use 2 HD for samples will I have some benefits by splitting the work of Gigastudio in these 2?

thanks in advance for your opinions,

Re: 3 Hard Disk for Gigastudio?

Hello,

Thats what I have in my machines... 1 HDD for system and 2 160gig\'s RAIDED for the sounds.

Personally, I would only use a hardware RAID solution. I also recommend RAID level 0 because no performance is gained in level 1.

Glenn.

I use:

40 gb (ATA with 8 mb buffer) - programs
    120 gb (SATA) - Audio
    200 gb (SATA) - Samples

Works well for me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
    I use:

40 gb (ATA with 8 mb buffer) - programs
    120 gb (SATA) - Audio
    200 gb (SATA) - Samples

Works well for me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

How do u connect SATA drives? I have a ASUS motherboard with SATA controller included but I can\'t use it because I hear clips and pop every time I use the SATA drive. Do u have a PCI Sata controller? Or which motherboard?

I exclusively use Asus motherboards, currently the P4800-E Deluxe in my main system. The materials you need are:

1) One or more SATA drives. If you are setting up a RAID they must be same size and model.

2) SATA cables> These were provided with you motherboard.

3) Your motherboard driver CDROM.

4) Your motherboard\'s manual for reference.

The basic steps:
    1) Install disk drives
    2) Configure the BIOS
    3) Boot to windows and install drivers when prompted.

It\'s not difficult. Use your manual as a reference as to where to plug in the cables and how to configure the BIOS. The advantage of setting up the RAID 0 is that you can read and write data nearly twice as fast (I won\'t confuse you with the technical stuff). The is no performance gain with RAID level 1 (actually a bit of a loss) but you gain the redundancy of mirroring the disks in case one dies.

If you need more assistance let me know.

Glenn.

Oengus

The Serial ATA capability does not necessarily reflect, true 150MB throughput on some motherboards. When looking for a motherboard that carries Serial ATA, you need to make sure that the motherboard has serial ATA dedicated on its own bridge= the Southbridge in this case. Do not use SATA that is not independently controlled outside the PCI bus, thus even having the audio/samples on it you still run the risk of using much effort to fine-tune the latency timers to avoid clicks and pops, etc.). Motherboards that typically have the Serial ATA attached to the PCI bridge are the NFORCE 2 motherboard chipsets. Such motherboard examples are the Asus A7n8x series, ABIT n7s, etc. Motherboards that have the Serial ATA on the Southbridge(which is what you want) can typically be found on the Intel 875 chipsets. Such motherboards when you look online carry the ICH5. Examples are the ASUS p4c800 E, etc. If you have an NFORCE 2 motherboard I would rather opt for Ultra ATA instead of SATA, unless you want to tweak around with it, its possible to run Serial ATA on these boards, but Ultra ATA would still be my first choice when running an NFORCE 2 chipset system. If you have not built a system or wish to build a new one, look for Serial ATA independent of the PCI bus. Then Serial ATA will be my first choice.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
    Oengus

The Serial ATA capability does not necessarily reflect, true 150MB throughput on some motherboards. When looking for a motherboard that carries Serial ATA, you need to make sure that the motherboard has serial ATA dedicated on its own bridge= the Southbridge in this case. Do not use SATA that is not independently controlled outside the PCI bus, thus even having the audio/samples on it you still run the risk of using much effort to fine-tune the latency timers to avoid clicks and pops, etc.). Motherboards that typically have the Serial ATA attached to the PCI bridge are the NFORCE 2 motherboard chipsets. Such motherboard examples are the Asus A7n8x series, ABIT n7s, etc. Motherboards that have the Serial ATA on the Southbridge(which is what you want) can typically be found on the Intel 875 chipsets. Such motherboards when you look online carry the ICH5. Examples are the ASUS p4c800 E, etc. If you have an NFORCE 2 motherboard I would rather opt for Ultra ATA instead of SATA, unless you want to tweak around with it, its possible to run Serial ATA on these boards, but Ultra ATA would still be my first choice when running an NFORCE 2 chipset system. If you have not built a system or wish to build a new one, look for Serial ATA independent of the PCI bus. Then Serial ATA will be my first choice.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply,

well I have the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe , so as I read from your reply , it has the Serial ATA attached to the PCI bridge . So I think this is the problem ,because the serial ATA controller \"stoles\" bandwidth to my audio card so I hear clips and pops , isn\'t it ?
    So , what can I do? If I use a PCI controller I\'ll fix the problem? Or there are other possibilities to use SATA drives for audio?

thanks in advance,

P.S. Glenn, thanks to u too !

Oengus 73

Youre welcome, and yes you are correct with restating what youre experiencing. My first choice will be to use the Ultra ATA 133 drives in your spesific situation.

However if you have already bought the Serial ATA harddrives, then you might be able to tweak your system, to get rid of the pops and clicks.
    First off, a good slot for the A7n8x will be slot number #4. You will also need to tweak around with your PCI latency timers. Actually I have a link that might provide hepful in your situation. This individual has the a7n8x motherboard, and explains the situation with the solution. He also solved the pops and clicks as well as other users systems. The following link is very long, but read it as it will most likely solve your problem.

Go here:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=45491&mpage=1&key=serial%2Cata

Good Luck to you!

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
    Oengus 73

Go here:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=45491&mpage=1&key=serial%2Cata

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I\'ve read this thread and I tried to do what it is explained in it but without results . Tweaking the PCI latency haven\'t resolved my problems with SATA.

Go Back to forum