• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sustained String Sounds -- Bug or Feature?

Share/Bookmark

Sustained String Sounds -- Bug or Feature?

I have been trying to use GPO to make an audio file of a piece I wrote for an ensemble of solo strings. I originally wrote the score in Sibelius, and have been fooling around with the resulting MIDI file in Sonar 3.0 Producer Edition, with GPO as a DXi input.

The piece concludes with a series of sustained chords, during which some of the instruments play the same note several times in succession. Except that they don\'t. The first instance gets played, and then there\'s silence -- occasionally a brief pizzicato-like sound, but no sustained note. The only thing that seems to work is to turn on the sustain pedal (CC #64), but the resulting sound gets ugly really fast. I tried doing what the manual implies should lead to alternating bows, that is, sustain = 127 for one note and 0 for the next. That has the same effect as doing nothing, i.e. no sound for any note after the first one. What am doing wrong here, and why won\'t it play the same note several times in succession? Note that when I use the cheap ugly General MIDI sounds that came with the sound card, Sonar has no trouble playing these notes.

TIA --

Richard Schultz

Re: Sustained String Sounds -- Bug or Feature?

Could be your notes are overlapping so your \"note off\" is being triggered after the second instance like this:

1 1 1 1 note on C3
    1 3 1 1 note on C3
    1 4 1 1 note off C3 (this one was meant fot the first C3)
    2 2 1 1 note off C3 (meant for the second C3)

As you can imagine, the program will not know which note off message belongs to which note, so you end up with a shorter note on your second instance than intended. What you need to do is make sure the messages happen in this order:

1 1 1 1 note on C3
    1 2 3 3 note off C3
    1 3 1 1 note on C3
    2 2 1 1 note off C3

Hope this helps.

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
    Could be your notes are overlapping so your \"note off\" is being triggered after the second instance. . .

Hope this helps.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that that\'s one possible explanation. What doesn\'t make a whole lot of sense to me is that when I use the General MIDI patches that came with the sound card, there is no problem with the sounds overlapping, and every instance of the repeated note gets played. Why would GPO sounds be treated any differently? Or is this some problem that\'s actually with the Kontakt player interface that pops up when you insert a GPO DXi into Sonar?

Richard Schultz

Richard,

I\'m inclined to agree with Rob on the note overlap idea. I created a test file with a series of identical notes, some deliberately overlapped. This resulted in the symptoms you described. I used the same test file on a number of synth plugins available on my system and all of them exhibited the same behavior. Why would things be different with your general midi sounds? Could be the allocation of oscillators on your card. If each note receives a separate oscillator then note cutoffs for repeated notes might possibly be avoided. I don\'t know if any synth plugins allocate oscillators in a similar fashion to your midi card. Making sure note \"offs\" are placed before the next note “on” should avoid the problem if you are repeating notes.

Tom

Do you have tempo changes in your track at the end? If so, then you\'ve hit the dreaded tempo change bug which can make notes shorter or longer than their actual value. Try using the VST version of the player which doesn\'t have the tempo change bug.

Go Back to forum