Does the mod wheel affect the volume of every slot in a GPOs player, or can the 8 slots each have a different mod wheel value? I ask because I\'m putting dynamics into an Overture SE score (with two instruments) and they seem to affect both instruments, not just one.
Does that mean sometimes the mod wheel data will affect a channel it is not assigned to? Sometimes, in older pieces when I was first learning GPO, I would get a sort of stuttering sound from particular instrument(s) with modwheel data, on playback. I learned later on that the reason was that I had modwheel data on two different channels on one track. This may sound confusing, but if you select your clip and view|piano roll, you can choose to view cc data, pitch, velocity, etc. (below your piano roll). If you choose Control, CC:1, you get to choose which channel, 1 through 8, or all of them. Now, if you write modwheel data on any channel, it will still only affect the modwheel for whatever channel that track is assigned to. Got me? The tricky part is if you write cc:1 data on two different tracks, the wheel will respond to both of them. So if one cresc\'s while the other dim\'s, then you will get a terrible stutter. This of course is easily fixed by always writing cc data on \"ALL\" channels [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I haven\'t verified for all of my pieces, but of the ones I have, ALL instances of the stutter effect have been a result of that.
So, to make an already ridiculously, some might say embarrasingly and yes a bit inappropriately, long story short, I think Tom meant to say \"is\" and not \"should be\" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
P.S. In Sonar, if you have cc data on any channel (other than ALL) you have to erase the old data before writing onto the ALL channel. This is because writing onto ALL doesn\'t overwrite material on other channels.
It wasn\'t until I exported my piece as midi from overture and imported it into Sonar that I could see where the problem was - even though when I drag the hairpin around it has that little dotted line to tell me which staff it\'s attached to, it was writing data for the *other* staff. Bizarre. Anyway I fixed it by putting the hairpins above the staff they were intended for, not below. The same problem occured for dynamic markings too, and I fixed it the same way.
The full overture is on its way, perhaps it will be better behaved [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Actually, I said “should be” because that is how it is supposed to perform. After long experience I know better than to say “is” because there may be other things at play here that weren’t described in the post. Always leave room for other explanations or you’ll be unpleasantly surprised that the “absolute” answer was theoretically correct but specifically misdirected due to insufficient information.
[ QUOTE ]
Always leave room for other explanations or you’ll be unpleasantly surprised that the “absolute” answer was theoretically correct but specifically misdirected due to insufficient information.
[/ QUOTE ]
Ain\'t that the truth, especially when it comes to technology [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]