• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone with VSL Pro Strings...AND QLSO?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone with VSL Pro Strings...AND QLSO?

If anyone out there has good experience with both of these libraries, pertaining to the strings....I would really appreciate some input on what you feel, if anything, VSL Strings can do that QLSO can\'t. I use QLSO Gold and love it, but have run up against things which I haven\'t been able to do, either from inexperience with library, or its own limitations. I have no experience with VSL other than the demos I\'ve heard, and I\'d like to know whether VSL offers more in the way of realism when doing very fast, active passages, such as fast 16th note figures that continue for many bars, etc.

Thanks for any feedback.

Re: Anyone with VSL Pro Strings...AND QLSO?

Hi Tom,

I own EWQLSO Gold Edition and VSL First Edition. Each have their strengths and whatever one isn\'t able to pull off adequately the other one can. Some believe they cannot be integrated or should be - I disagree.

VSL has a pretty extensive demo mp3 line up on their site - several spotlighting the strings and articulations. Some of the Mozart stuff there pulls off the 16th note arpeggios quite well. The performance tool is helpful for you can program it to use a different velocity as well as either up/down alternation and legato. You can slide notes into the next note which makes for some really sweet string sessions in your mixes. Coupled with the dynamic strength of EWQLSO Gold you could have quite a formidable arsenal at your beck and call.

VSL needs a little more time at mixdown than EWQLSO. At times I put a bit of EQ boost or cut on VSL and a tad of Altiverb to get it to blend with the hall and instruments presented in QLSO Gold. I add a little of the same Altiverb on EWQLSO Gold but far less wet. It works for me.

Best,

~Frederick

Thanks so much for your info.

In a perfect world we wouldn\'t have to combine, but right now I think it\'s the only way to come close to having everything.

What is the difference in sound quality between the First Edition and the Pro Edition of the strings...chromatic, etc?

The sound quality is exactly the same. The pro edition has more than 2x the articulations that the first edition has, and it contains new instruments.

Wow, just noticed I have only 1 star. I wonder who rated me down from a 3 to a 1? Hmmm.

Sorry, heheheh. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks Sharmy....I\'m getting old or too lazy to understand all the different versions of VSL. Simple question....will I have ALL the strings they offer if I got the VSL STRINGS PRO Edition at about 1500? All the articulations, everything? (I understand that the \"solo strings\" collection has more solo strings, than the Strings PRO edition....geez, my head is starting to spin again)....

Actually, no. You get the basic strings articulations in the VSL Strings PRO, but then you get the PERFORMANCE articulations with the VSL Performance PRO edition. Unless you get the VSL performance Pro (strings ed.) AND VSL Cube Pro (strings ed.), you only have half the strings. Sort of confusing, I know.

Exactly - Tom if you\'re looking for all the VSL string articulations you\'ll have to spring for VSL Pro Edition Strings AND VSL Pro Edition Performance Set (!)

This dilemma was exactly the reason I got First Edition first - I had the money at the time and upgrading to full Pro Edition was a whole lot closer than say Opus 1. Horizon Solo Strings can help fill in the gaps in the interim before the full upgrade.

Sharmy\'s suggestion of SISS is a good one. That lib seems to compliment both VSL and EWQLSO - good fortune in your decision.

Nice Sharmy! Anarchy rocks!!!! Great piece of music man.

This is a short(!) excerpt of a piece I\'ve been working on - I used EWQLSO for percussion and some brass, VSL on the strings, flute and some brass:

http://www./mymusic/ewqlso-vsl.mp3

The arpeggios are VSL first edition (strings and performance set)

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually, no. You get the basic strings articulations in the VSL Strings PRO, but then you get the PERFORMANCE articulations with the VSL Performance PRO edition. Unless you get the VSL performance Pro (strings ed.) AND VSL Cube Pro (strings ed.), you only have half the strings. Sort of confusing, I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I\'m pretty sure the Pro strings lack the solo viola and bass that are in the VSL Solo Strings (that has all 4 + performance i believe). Theres supposed to be an upgrade coming(been?) for Pro string users though.

Go Back to forum