• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can't load KS GOS Lite instruments

Share/Bookmark

Can\'t load KS GOS Lite instruments

I realize this may need to be asked in the NI forum, but since some of you have GOS and use it with Kontakt perhaps you can enlighten me here (heck, I think even Tom uses it).

I can load all of the instruments just fine (after first using the batch utility to convert the Giga format to programs and samples), but none of the KS stuff works. I always get a \"can\'t find samples\" which I can only get around by ignoring the error. The instrument loads then, but if I save it every time it loads I get the same error.

Since all the other instruments load I just don\'t get it -- is there something about the KS programming for Giga that doesn\'t work in Kontakt? This would be odd, given that it works in the Kontakt player for the GPO stuff.

I get a feeling this is a path issue, but I can\'t specify the path (well, I can when I save the program, but it has to be a subpath and I\'ve already tried every possible combination -- besides, why does it work for all the other instruments?)

Any ideas would be appreciate (but other than that GOS Lite is pretty terrific).

Re: Can\'t load KS GOS Lite instruments

What version of Kontakt?

GOS Lite is a pure Giga product. GPO was designed for the Kontakt player - apples and oranges.

Mike,

“Since all the other instruments load I just don\'t get it -- is there something about the KS programming for Giga that doesn\'t work in Kontakt?”

Ahhh, conversions. Forcing square pegs into round holes. It’s always surprising that conversions work as well as they do considering that the architecture of the different sample formats is so dissimilar to one another. Simple instruments convert better than complex instruments. Instruments with common features convert better than instruments with unique features. Most of the standard GOS Lite instruments convert well because the programming is relatively simple. Keyswitch instruments are an exception and the conversion process to Kontakt does not appear to work well. I just took a look at the conversion of a keyswitched GOS Lite instrument and the keyswitch construction was thoroughly mangled by the conversion.

“This would be odd, given that it works in the Kontakt player for the GPO stuff.”

Not odd at all. GPO was designed and programmed in Kontakt. That’s its native format. All keyswitches in GPO are constructed using the rules of the Kontakt architecture which is only superficially similar to keyswitching in Giga. Their structure is not directly comparable. Different software designers use different approaches to accomplish the same function. On the surface it looks like apples to apples when it is actually (as Houston put it) apples to oranges. Make that apples to lawnmowers.

Can the GOS Lite instruments work in Kontakt? Yes. But you will need to become familiar with the way both GigaStudio and Kontakt work so that you can analyze the Giga programming and reprogram the data in Kontakt following the Kontakt rules.

As an alternative you might check with Garth of Chicken Systems to see if the latest version of Translator does a better job of keyswitch conversion from Giga to Kontakt. Worth asking. If it does that would be a lot easier than learning how to reprogram the data.

Tom

[ QUOTE ]
    I just took a look at the conversion of a keyswitched GOS Lite instrument and the keyswitch construction was thoroughly mangled by the conversion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did the conversion of the BiggaGigga Acoustic Essentials, which has 8-way keyswitched guitars, and it converted perfectly. So, I guess YMMV.

[ QUOTE ]
    Keyswitch instruments are an exception and the conversion process to Kontakt does not appear to work well. I just took a look at the conversion of a keyswitched GOS Lite instrument and the keyswitch construction was thoroughly mangled by the conversion.

Can the GOS Lite instruments work in Kontakt? Yes. But you will need to become familiar with the way both GigaStudio and Kontakt work so that you can analyze the Giga programming and reprogram the data in Kontakt following the Kontakt rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, Tom -- actually, just knowing this keeps me from thinking I was doing something wrong and prevents further aggravation from thinking I was just missing *something* obvious.

As I thought in depth about this last night (when I was thinking I was doing something very wrong) I came to the conclusion that keyswitching was really only useful to me if I were playing live keyboards (or even just recording keyboards) and that for my compositional techniques (such as they are :&gt it actually worked better to have them as separate instruments. Since I can get all the same articulations without KS, and since it doesn\'t appear the KS save any memory either, I think I can live without the combos (although I might dabble just for fun to see what the programming issues are -- an old programmer can never quite leave well enough alone <bg&gt.

Even at that GOS lite is pretty amazing -- the sounds are very different from GPO strings, and yet seem to integrate well into the rest of GPO. In particular I really like the short string sounds: it might just be early days or my imagination, but it seems as if GOS Lite solves the \"movie sound\" issue that people keep dinging GPO on.

Thanks again, Tom, for the full explanation.

Go Back to forum